Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
0-60 times  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-04-2006 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan (Florida)

Was just wondering what  0-60 times everyone else with stock/modified JH's were  getting.  I can only get around 13 seconds with known mixture  problems in a stock vehicle but don't think I am very far off  whatever the norm is.  I've read third hand about 0-60 times  below 8 seconds from stock units an find it hard to believe. Under 8 second 0-60  times would impress me very much  in a car this old, but I think that is in the  highly modified car range.  Does anybody else  get close to this.

Dan

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-05-2006 02:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I have never tested but there are tricks to get the best time that you probably know but here goes anyway. Rev the engine to at least 5000 rpm and dump the clutch which will spin instead of fully engaging. Then use the clutch to modulate the power to the wheels which would otherwise be burning rubber at a prodigious rate. Never shift before the redline.

The key is to skip the low rpm range where the 907 can't get out of it's own way.

If you make it to 60mph before breaking something congratulations! If not, order a new clutch and those pesky gears from Delta and start that winter project! ;-}

Posted: 12-05-2006 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dan (Florida)

I guess that is one of the percs car testers get when testing new cars that they don't own , getting  to do stuff you wouldn't do to your own car (particularly if its 30 years old). My only concern is determining if everything is working correctly and the state of tune is reasonably close to  what it is supposed to be. Having nothing to compare it to,  0 to 60 times seem to  be the best indicator.   Mine seems to come off the line well, but takes a lot of time to get from 50 to 60.  Everything else seems ok, but that's my guess.  A good glop of synthetic oil and further work on the mixture/plug readings seem in order.  If you hear a big bang from down this way you will know what happened.

Dan

Posted: 12-09-2006 02:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ron Earp

I've got a couple of old magazines I got off of Ebay with JH test articles.  One article compares the 240Z and the JH, with 0-60 times of 8 secs with the Federal Stromberg equipped 2L. Quarter was in the high 15s which is pretty good for the day.

I certainly think it is possible.  I have driven Judson's 2.2L car and I'm certain that car will do under 8s with no trouble, but it has a Toyota transmission and Delortos. I've driven my own 2L Stromberg equipped car and I'm pretty sure it'll do under 8s as well and it isn't highly modified as far as performance items/changes.

I think the key will be in having a good running one setup well, carbs synched, ignition timing advanced, cams degreed properly, NO large wheels/tires and effectively numerically lower your overall drive, pay attention to weight you have stashed around the car, and to drive it like you stole it.

13 secs to me seems slow, but I assume you aren't driving it like you hate it - and that might be a good thing for an old car!!!!

Last edited on 12-09-2006 02:14 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 12-11-2006 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
frank12873

Your question made me curious, so I went out and did a few 0-60 runs in 12873 this weekend. 12873 is a four-speed car, with what I think is a pretty tired stock 907 running too-rich Stroms.

I found a pretty flat stretch of road near me, and, not wanting to break anything in the car, I did what I'd call a "jackrabbit" start, rather than a full spinning-tires drag racing start. I also took into account known and somewhat-quantified speedometer error in my car; my speedo indicates about 65 when true road speed is about 60. I shifted the car at about 6500; prior to this little test, it had only rarely been above 5500. The car really sounded great, and I had great fun!

My best time was 12.6 sec. This correlates well with your time, Dan.

I also did a different acceleration test, one that I believe may be more indicative of the real-world performance of our cars, and one that should be pretty comparable car-to-car. In third gear, going a steady 50mph, I gave it full throttle until I reached 70mph, both speeds taking into account known speedo error as best I could. I didn't shift out of third for this test.

My best time 50-70 was 7.9 seconds. I'd be interested in knowing other JH owners times 50-70, in particular those cars with modified and/or 2.2 engines. But please be safe, everyone!

Posted: 12-17-2006 06:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Chris E

Hmm...  After reading this, I had to try it with 14522. (stock 4 spd., Strombergs)

worst  0-60     10.4

Best    0-60       8.7

I think under 8 seconds is quite possible with a correctly tuned stock car.

One thing to consider is that during my test runs it's late night & outside air temp is 37 degrees F. (car runs a little on the rich side anyway) Having the right conditions & having the car tuned for it may make all the difference.

Chris

Posted: 12-22-2006 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Rick Willard

I had to try this also.  Unfortunately, I did not have a perfect open spot since this is the Friday before Christmas weekend, and it's not easy to find open spots here in the asphalt jungle of Southern California.  I also used the aforementioned "jack rabbit" start, since I've rebuilt everything on my drivetrain BUT the transmission and differential, and don't want any unnecessary projects at this time.  

For the record, mine is a 4-speed with a recent 2.2L conversion including 9.5:1 pistons, 40 mm Dell's, 104/107 cam combo, and a "standard valve job."  Because mine does NOT yet have a ported/flowed head, 40mm Dell's (instead of 45/48), and pistons that are not quite as high in compression as they could be, I'd guess that I'm making about 175-185HP (possibly more).  I'm definitely not making the 200+HP that could still be attained with a little more influence.

Assuming staring at the speedometer and a stopwatch is somewhat accurate (which is a huge assumption), I had no problem at all coming in under 7.5 - 7.7 seconds.  If I get outside of the city limits and really crank it, dump the clutch, run to redline etc., I definitely believe it's possible to go lower, even with my set up.  For the guys in JHPS with 200 HP rockets, I can't imagine that they couldn't get under 7.0.

The car magazine tests at the time the car was first released were all reporting 0-60's between 7.5 and 8.5, depending on what magazine you were reading, and whether they were testing a 4-speed or a 5-speed.  Based on the original tests done and the upgrades in my case, this seems about right.

Somebody else get out there, try the test, and let us know how you did. 

Rick 

Posted: 12-30-2006 12:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ron Earp

I quickly went through the Brooklands Jensen Healey compilation of road tests from magazines of the day that I bought some months ago. The 0-60 times in each of the tests is reflected below, time in seconds.   7.5 8.0 8.6 8.2 9.7 8.0 7.5 8.4 7.8 9.6 8.3   Definitely a quick car for the day and I don't think it is optimistic to think a stock JH could hit 60 in the 8s range as mentioned above.

Current time is 11:20 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > 0-60 times Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems