View single post by Rick Willard
 Posted: 12-22-2006 11:17 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Rick Willard

I had to try this also.  Unfortunately, I did not have a perfect open spot since this is the Friday before Christmas weekend, and it's not easy to find open spots here in the asphalt jungle of Southern California.  I also used the aforementioned "jack rabbit" start, since I've rebuilt everything on my drivetrain BUT the transmission and differential, and don't want any unnecessary projects at this time.  

For the record, mine is a 4-speed with a recent 2.2L conversion including 9.5:1 pistons, 40 mm Dell's, 104/107 cam combo, and a "standard valve job."  Because mine does NOT yet have a ported/flowed head, 40mm Dell's (instead of 45/48), and pistons that are not quite as high in compression as they could be, I'd guess that I'm making about 175-185HP (possibly more).  I'm definitely not making the 200+HP that could still be attained with a little more influence.

Assuming staring at the speedometer and a stopwatch is somewhat accurate (which is a huge assumption), I had no problem at all coming in under 7.5 - 7.7 seconds.  If I get outside of the city limits and really crank it, dump the clutch, run to redline etc., I definitely believe it's possible to go lower, even with my set up.  For the guys in JHPS with 200 HP rockets, I can't imagine that they couldn't get under 7.0.

The car magazine tests at the time the car was first released were all reporting 0-60's between 7.5 and 8.5, depending on what magazine you were reading, and whether they were testing a 4-speed or a 5-speed.  Based on the original tests done and the upgrades in my case, this seems about right.

Somebody else get out there, try the test, and let us know how you did. 

Rick