Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen Healey & Jensen GT VIN Database  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-14-2008 05:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
81st Post
jgreen

UPDATE

JH #15470, 1974, original red color with black interior Sadly, the mechanic who was doing a professional restoration on this car gave up and sold it as a parts car. I though the car was completely restorable, but it seemd he didn't want to put much money or time into it..... shoulda called me ;(

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-15-2008 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
82nd Post
Judson Manning

VIN:  13492 originally mustard in color now black.  2.2 litre engine from 1986 Esprit HCI, 1988 Excel bellhousing and 1987 Toyota W58 transmission.  Occasional SCCA Solo I racer with 13" slicks on stock wheels, but mostly a weekend car in need of a new paint job so says the very understanding spouse.

VIN:  n/a SCCA E-production WIP car built from two dead shells (one black 1974 roadster + one blue 1975 GT) welded together.  Stock 2.0 engine with 4sp transmission, SCCA legal 8" Toyota rear axle and custom front+rear suspension utilizing 10-1/2" Vented brakes  Desperately in need of completion so says the becoming less and less understanding spouse.

Posted: 07-18-2008 04:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
83rd Post
Daveo

Found two on AutoTraderClassics

A 1973 in Medina, OH and a 1974 in Chicago, IL.

I might buy em both :)  I'll post the VIN#'s once I get them.

Edit: Took the two hour trip today to look at 12479, born 5/24/73 (exactly 1 year and 1 week before mine). Was disappointed to find the floorboards completely rusted out. Definately not the driver I was hoping for :(  Anyhow, might still be worth saving? The guy wants $1,700 for it.

The '74 in Chicago isn't on AutoTrader Classics website anymore. So may take a little work to get the VIN#.

Last edited on 07-19-2008 10:39 pm by Daveo

Posted: 07-30-2008 07:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
84th Post
JHRV8

With some souls interested in the modifications of my JH, here goes.....Jensen Healey serial number 19405 was built on December 19, 1974 one of the last months roadsters before the conversion to the GT's.  Car was factory equiped (I know I'm going to get it now for changing her) with Dunlop wilre wheels, and both tops.  I aquired her from the local highschool's auto shop on the very day that she was scheduled to be torched into scrap and taken to the scrapmill. She cost me 100.00 dollars bribe to the shop teacher, and she had been abandoned at the school about 10 years previously by an unknown student.  She came with a trunk full of nos parts and new carpets and rust in her floor pans.  She  ow sports a Rover aluminum v8. a t-5 5 speed, Volvo 3.31 posi rear end, Volvo front brakes and master cyl. racing seats, custom glove box, custom console, fuel cell, and best of all a all USA wiring system with narry a LUCAS part to be found.  Wheels are 15x7 inch Fitipaldies with Volvo lug pattern and 195x50 and 205x50 Hancook V rated tires. Needs paint and final assemble.

Posted: 08-19-2008 05:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
85th Post
jgreen

Recently added to the family is a 1976 Jensen GT for restoration. Saturn Gold, 27000 miles, original car with no modifcations. Acquired as a giveway from a very nice gentleman in Bushnel, Florida. SN 30281. The car needs the basics, but is otherwise very solid. Slight rust(  surface only) Stored for years in an aircraft hanger , then a barn. Needs, belts, hoses, complete brake overhaul, as well as a radiator, altenator, waterpump an other small things. Minor bodywork on the right side needed from the damage acquired from car being towed. It should be up and runniong before winter.

Posted: 10-03-2008 08:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
86th Post
RossB

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd put my first post here.

I am the proud custodian of Jensen Healey 16327. The car was one of a batch of fifty originally destined for Australia.

16327 was delivered new in June 1974 to Adelaide, Australia. It was white with tan interior. As you can see from these photos (http://flickr.com/photos/castingspider/) the car is no longer white. I have no idea when it was changed as it was this colour when I bought it back in 1998.

The car (as is the case with so many collectable cars) has been sitting untouched for the past eight years in Melbourne, Australia. Circumstances have now permitted me to move the car to Sydney and overhaul the entire drive line (engine, suspension, brakes, sundry items).

Cheers,

Ross.
JH 16327

Posted: 10-04-2008 02:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
87th Post
dwalls1

Welcome to J-H dom and to this forum. Your car is beautiful, hard to believe it would need a lot on the drive train. I really like the biege interior and it certainly doesn't look like a repaint in other than the original color. May I recommend the British Car Forum also. http://www.britishcarforum.com  If you're not already familiar with it I think you will find it worthwhile and very well administered. Good Luck and Thank You for sharing.

Posted: 10-07-2008 06:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
88th Post
RossB

Thanks for the welcome Dale.

I guess that's the thing with cars, and with old cars in particular - looks only tell half the story.

My car was drivable, but there was a lot of blowback out of the dipstick hole, little oil pressure to speak of and the suspension has always felt really soft and spongy.

After it was all pulled apart, it became quite clear that the entire engine is very tired. the engine mounts were U/S, the suspension bushes were all U/S, the three of the ball joints were U/S, three of the wheel bearings were U/S (and the fourth was only just there), the clutch was gone, the tyres needed to be replaced, and on it went.

After fixing all that, it should feel like a new car.

Posted: 10-07-2008 02:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
89th Post
JodyFKerr

You'll be amazed what a fresh suspension feels like on one of these cars, and how much peppier the engine will be! I have one tired JH and one mid-restoration. I got to drive a recently restored one about a year and a half ago, and it was quite something to be doin 90mph in it down the highway.

Have fun with your project!

Jody

Posted: 11-01-2008 10:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
90th Post
ozzadavies

19517: My Jensen Healey Mk 2 is red with a 5-speed gearbox, rubber bumpers and dellortos. It was originally sold new by Jamestown Motor Center, Long Beach, CA in 1975. The bill of sale reads:

Vehicle $7100
Hi Perf kit & 5 Spd $715
Tonneau Cover $40
Fed Spec Bumper $170
Calif Emission Chg $20
Delivery $ Handling $125
Avg Inland Frt $35

Total $8205

There are invoices from California up to November 1980 from the original owner. On April 1979 the car had done 27k miles.

The next history is from 1990 when the car was exported to the UK. It was converted to right-hand drive in 1991 (for £1733!!!) and was valued in 1993 at £8000 for insurance purposes (those were the days!) - so, what's that, $15,000 or so.

In 1994 it had done 41000 miles and has a steady amount of paperwork from then to now.

I purchased the car in July 2008 with 46000 miles on the clock. It's clear the car hasn't really been driven in the last 10 years or so and I've been sorting out lots of annoying things on it to get it back up to a solid reliable condition.

It's lovely - really enjoying it. Check out images at http://www.flickr.com/user/ozzadavies

The car lives with me in Stockwell, London

Posted: 11-01-2008 10:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
91st Post
RossB

Ozza,

Saw your car on flickr - very nice. It's hard to tell with digital cameras, but I do think your car has a richer red colour than mine.

Great car though and welcome to the gang. I hope you get many fun times with your car.

Ross.

Posted: 11-01-2008 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
92nd Post
JodyFKerr

Ozza,

The car looks brilliant. I've always been 50/50 about the stainless trim that runs down the side, but it looks to be in very good condition and shows well on your ride.

As to sorting things out, I wish my JH was sorted as well as yours is. I've still got a fair bit until either one is on the road and reliable. :)

Jody

Posted: 11-02-2008 05:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
93rd Post
subwoofer

ozzadavies wrote:
It's lovely - really enjoying it. Check out images at http://www.flickr.com/user/ozzadavies

I can't get that link to work, just keep getting some rather naff party pictures of some bloke "Mojo Bilboa" along with an error message. Could it be some permissions issue? I'm not a registered Flickr user, and at the moment I don't intend to be either.

--
Joachim

Last edited on 11-02-2008 06:03 am by subwoofer

Posted: 11-02-2008 06:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
94th Post
RossB

Ozza,

I took the liberty of getting the correct link.

Folks try this to see Ozza's car - it's worth the look.

http://tinyurl.com/5k6rw3

Cheers,

Ross.

Posted: 11-02-2008 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
95th Post
ozzadavies

Wow, thanks for your kind words. Thanks also Ross for fixing my incorrect URL, it should be http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzadavies/sets/72157607285881130/

By the way my name is Ollie (or Oliver if I'm in trouble) and thank you for your welcome.

Re. chrome side strip...yeah I'm 50:50 also. I think the rubber bumbers and chrome strip just take things away from the lines of the car.

There are two things wrong with the car at the moment. The gearbox makes horrendous rattling noises, particularly when cold. I think there's a gaiter missing, or says my local friendly classic garage. The other is that it is in desparate need of a full set of new bushes. I just know that the car is going to feel like new when that's done, but I've gotta save up first!!

Posted: 11-02-2008 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
96th Post
JodyFKerr

Do you have the 5speed or the 4speed?

The 5speed (getrag) are pretty expensive rebuilds, but the parts are retty easy to obtain.

The 4speed (rapier) is a simpler rebuild, but it's difficult to get your hands on the parts.

Good luck! Oh, and take a look at the prothane bushings, they're just the trick (and add to that the sway bar kits). It'll make the car handle beautifully!

Jody

Posted: 11-02-2008 07:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
97th Post
subwoofer

ozzadavies wrote:

There are two things wrong with the car at the moment. The gearbox makes horrendous rattling noises, particularly when cold. I think there's a gaiter missing, or says my local friendly classic garage. The other is that it is in desparate need of a full set of new bushes. I just know that the car is going to feel like new when that's done, but I've gotta save up first!!

Two tips for you: Revington TR (http://www.revingtontr.com) has complete SuperPro bushing kits for Jensen Healey in stock. Prompt delivery, no fuzz sending the missing parts when I discovered (a tad late) one set was missing from the shipment. I'm in the process of mounting mine now, so I can't tell what the end result will be, but others say they are good.

Also: for old new stock and used parts, contact David Booth (http://www.jensenhealey.co.uk), he sits on a lot of parts.

--
Joachim

Posted: 11-05-2008 01:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
98th Post
Jensenman

I may have found a long lost J-H through another forum: http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=15769.0

Allegedly this car has ~500 miles on it and has been in storage for many years.

If it's the car I think it is, the VIN may be 111/15411. That one was listed on britishsteel.org as 'donated to charity, CA' which fits this story.

http://www.british-steel.org/members/jh/j_h.html

Maybe someone in that area can check this out?

Posted: 11-05-2008 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
99th Post
Jensenman

ozzadavies wrote:

Beautiful car!

Before going wild with a full transmission rebuild, check the shifter mechanism. 5 speeds had a dense rubber disc in the shift mechanism to correct a terrible rattle.

If it does turn out to be inside the transmission, the Toyota W series swap is well worthwhile, particularly compared to the cost of Getrag parts.

Posted: 11-05-2008 11:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
100th Post
ozzadavies

Hi Jody, yep it's a 5-speed. I'm hoping that it's something simple to fix. The gearbox is a bit crunchy sometimes but I hear that's what they're like usually.

I'll check out the prothane bushes - thanks for the tip. In your experience how much should I expect to pay for a full set? And excuse my ignorance, but is fitting swaybars a straight-forward task? I was going to get my garage to fit the bushes, would it make sense to fit swaybars at the same time?

Ollie

Current time is 07:53 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > VIN Database for Jensen Healey & Jensen GT > Jensen Healey & Jensen GT VIN Database Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems