Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen Healey & Jensen GT VIN Database  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-21-2007 05:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
jgreen

JH #15470, 1974, original red color with black interior.

Last registered in Vermont, currently being restored by a professional mechanic. Missing engine.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-22-2007 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
Bill

Hello and Greetings from Appleton, Wisconsin

I have JH 16229. I purchased it Oct 05 on e-bay for $900. It runs! Orange in color with a 4 speed, the engine, trans, and clutch appear to have been rebuilt in about 1985. The old parts are all wrapped in newspaper dated such. Fitted with Dellorto carbs, it appears to have an electronic ignition upgrade since there is no vacuum advance line atached to the distributor. Engine # is B74  04  6754. Also above the starter are the numbers 0907E 0050Y. Not sure what these mean exactly. The car needs a lot of body work as the under side is severly rusted. About what one would expect since the vehicle came from Detroit. Additionally, all the suspension will have to be gone through and the brakes will need attention. Odometer is 93,005. Long term project of love!

Posted: 08-01-2007 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
Steve Jarvis

JH 11472 acquired last year from owner of 31 years. Unfortunately had not been run in about 4 years. Lots of work and back on the road last week. Still some cleanup but this appears to never end.

First start video courtesy of my son. Amazing it actually started as the timing was off by 30 degrees. Runs much better after finding out how to static time a Pertronix Ignitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JguZD-y_vlY

Posted: 09-20-2007 03:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
discogodfather

Vin #10777 1973

Beautiful and unique JH I bought in 2005 from the second owner who had restored and customized it since 1974.  Was an engine fire victim in 1973 (probably an oil fire), previous owner purchased it at an auction.

Unique features:

Fiberglass hood

Body taken apart and re-seam welded together

Custom all-steel worked fender flares (absolutely best fender job ever, I really believe all the JH needed styling wise was some decent flares and we would be talking about a JH like an Austin- meaning $30k’s instead of $3k’s)

Chromemoly rollbar

Jennsport big brakes – aluminum 4 piston calipers (x2 the stopping power literally- a little fade), runs silicone fluid

Engine is a built 77 Elcat 907 2.0 liter (honest 200hp), knife edged crank, 10.5 to 1 forged aluminum pistons, weber 45 dcoe’s jetted for 4500-6000rpm performance, Elgin cams (custom grind better than any 104 or 107 cam, idles well), all racing oiling mods, custom tubular headers, 2” exhaust all the way to the back, ported and polished head, oversize stainless valves, still has stock ignition with points, custom intake velocity stacks (made by a fellow in Germany who turns them out of billet 7075)

All stainless lines (fuel, oil, and brake)

Sitting on 15x8 wheels (currently Diamond Racing, a simple steel wheel, have a set of Superlites ready to go on) with 225/50/15 rubber

Man who made this was the previous owner, who is a master fabricator who usually makes planes (he took me up in a 48’ aircoupe he restored, an absolute blast!).  He owned a car resto business for years, and it shows.  Since 2005 I removed the interior and sandblasted the panels and laid down some thick rust-proofing paint to make sure no rust issues ever even got started.  Also went through the engine. 

Spare engines:
77 Elcat 907 B77.10.4343

Chris Morlock

Attachment: IMG_3700 [cc].JPG (Downloaded 129 times)

Posted: 11-08-2007 07:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
thewheelman

1973 #13057 alive and kicking in Western Kentucky (soon to be back home in CA).

Don't know the engine number, but I'm pretty sure it's not the original.  Purchased this car over 10 years ago off a used car lot in Hopkinsville, KY.  The original owner was an airline pilot who retired from California to our famous Lake Barkley.  According to him, his wife got tired of rolling out on the ground to get out of it and he sold it to another couple who wanted "an old convertible".  You know the story, of course, they would have been better off with a '65 Mustang or a '56 Chevy.  So, it didn't last long there.  Some one at the used car lot (I won't even call it a "dealer") talked the owner into buying it because it was a "rare" car.  I got it cheap because I was the only one who actually knew what it was and showed some interest in it.  My son drove it daily to high school and then I became the custodian of it again while he was at the US Coast Guard Academy.  He took it to Pensacola with him for Primary Flight Training and left it with me again while in Corpus Christi for Advanced.  I suspect I'll be taking care of it until he moves to his new duty station, Sacramento, CA next spring.  It was originally that very '70's Mustard color but now happily Viper Red.  A ton of spare parts, including an engine, 2 transmissions, rear end and fuel tank.

Woo, that's more than you wanted to know.  BTW, the personalized tag reads "RARE 1"  You can see more about it and my other treasures at http://www.hesenergy.net/faulkner/

Thanks,

Hal

Posted: 01-04-2008 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
Smokeater

Jensen GT

I've owned this car since new.

Now has 27,000 miles. Good original condition.

Car has been in storage about 15 years. This year I plan to resurrect it with new timing belt, wheel cylinders, Pertronix ignitionand drain and flush all fluids and anything else I come across. Wish me luck.

Located in Northern Calif. Sirrea foothills.

Posted: 01-04-2008 03:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
pbahr

Wow, another GT surfaces.........

What's the VIN ?

and engine S/N ?

Pete

Posted: 01-04-2008 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
68th Post
mark lees

purchased in march 07 feel very stupid i am a car guy and i have never seen one till mine even owned a 72 tr6 and 2 norton bikes and a triumph bike but a jensen healey ?  any way mine is a 73 #13076 original engine i think what the number is i dont know i am not sure of where to look the head has ag33 on it and the but the car has the laycock de normanville d type overdrive. i welded new floors in it this summer the purchase price was 100 dollars [ex teacher without the means] blown rear wheel bearings [since rebuilt]  and i had it running that afternoon quite an exaust bark to it  i put a flowmaster on it [not quiet] i have heard that these cars did not come with this overdrive so i guess it was installed by some one any info would be appreciated.    thanks        mark

Posted: 01-13-2008 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
69th Post
Phil Voss

Purchased late December 2004

Vin 14442

B7310 4 387

Built on date - 17 11 73

Buttercup yellow - original paint

mileage unreliable - over 80K

Currently down while I replace the timing belt.

Could never sell, built the day before I turned 16!

Posted: 02-01-2008 09:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
70th Post
mdutch

JH-19354 (1974) Dallas, TX USA.

Black, oem wire wheels, A/C (!)

I'm the second owner, was Long Beach car until I purchased it in 2002.

Ran okay when I got it, but gas tank had started leaking and front end was loose so I took it off the road.  86k miles, original engine has 15k on P.O. rebuild.  Car has been "on ice" while readying garage for rebuild.  Currently re-doing back-to-front fuel system, new tank, ss lines, fuel pump, filter & carb rebuild.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=904560021

http://www.audiowizardry.com/jensen.html

Last edited on 02-01-2008 09:22 pm by mdutch

Posted: 02-12-2008 06:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
71st Post
mdutch

VIN 15009  -- info from JH Marketplace ad for DFW area car advertised in 11/2007:
"1974 Jensen Healey, VIN 15009. Rebuilt engine with approx 10,000 miles. Not running for year. Needs carb work. Clean body, good interior. Comes with hard top, tonneau cover and sway bars. Conv top in good condition."
This car was purchased in Jan 2008 by a "computer illiterate" new JHPS member residing in Hammond Louisiana.  He's staying in touch through the magazine, is former aircraft pilot and mechanic and excited about the JH specs.

Contact me for more info until his grandkids get him online!

--mdutch

Posted: 04-03-2008 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
72nd Post
Trueblue R/T

Morning Everyone

New here just found the group.. I have a JH that is badly in need of restoration,,serial # is 10409,,if somebody will tell me where to find the motor # I will post that up also..The car and I are located in Durant,OK.

Posted: 04-14-2008 05:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
73rd Post
dwalls1

#17798, built August 30th 1974, Engine #B74 078 401,  White with Tan interior.

Purchased on E-bay, featured in JHPS magazine Feb 08 #209 pg 15. Bought from second owner for $3,500 spent $1000 on brakes and new alternator and tune up, then $225 for new fuel pump before driving it from La Mesa, CA to Bloomfield, NM. I am pleased, it will be a driver sharing time with my TR7 and Honda Helix scooter.

Posted: 05-22-2008 05:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
74th Post
jnduncan

I just bought 16766 from a neighbor as a birthday present for my wife.  I'll follow up with the engine number, etc., but in the meantime, could someone tell me the date of manufacture?  (Other data would be helpful, too.)  Here in North Carolina, any car 35 years old or older is exempt from the state inspection.

Thanks!

Jim

Posted: 05-23-2008 12:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
75th Post
John Kimbrough

Jim, I have 15375 and it is a 1974 JH so I think yours may be a year or two shy of being 35 years old. 

Congratulations on your purchase.  John.

Posted: 05-23-2008 02:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
76th Post
jnduncan

jnduncan wrote: I just bought 16766 from a neighbor as a birthday present for my wife.  I'll follow up with the engine number, etc., but in the meantime, could someone tell me the date of manufacture?  (Other data would be helpful, too.)  Here in North Carolina, any car 35 years old or older is exempt from the state inspection.

Thanks!

Jim

Yeah, well, I should've looked a little harder.  VIN 1110-16766 was manufactured 1974-05-31.  Poetic, huh?  It's within days of her birthday! ;-)  I'll have to report the engine number later; I wrote down the wrong information and it was getting dark.

It's bright red now, obviously repainted.  I have no idea what the original color was, but I believe it was a darker red.  The interior is black, and I'm pretty sure the seats have either been re-upholstered or replaced.  The controls are on the left-hand side.

The engine (like the car) runs okay, but it definitely needs some work.  The body is in pretty good shape except for the typical rust in the frame on the sides, a slot-shaped hole in the left-hand side of the left-hand floor plan, one rust spot from the inside on the right-rear top surface of the trunk lid, and the hood is bent up slightly over the prop stick, causing a slight misalignment between the hood and the latch and where the hood meets the the left side of the windscreen and the top rear of the left fender.  The trunk reeks of gasoline.  The horn switch malfunctioned and a separate horn button was installed under the bottom edge of the dashboard below the turn signal so the vehicle could pass a North Carolina safety inspection.  The lights, fan, and wipers work.  The hazard flashers, windshield washer, clock, and speedometer don't work.  The center rear-view mirror flops like an upside-down bobble-head doll.

The engine runs rough as a cob at the moment, but has its moments of finesse.  The transmission, a four-speed, is wonderful and the clutch works great.  There's a tiny bit of play in the steering, but once beyond that, steering is responsive.  The suspension needs work.  The tires look and feel great -- I think they're fairly new.  The top has seen better days and I've already ordered a replacement, the StayFast model from Prestige -- the comments here were valuable.  The wheels look good.

The previous owner is a former co-worker from when I used to work at Cisco.  Not only did I not know he'd moved to the US, I had no idea he'd moved into my neighborhood!  When he was buying his house, the previous owner amended the bill of sale to include the furnishings.  The last item on a multi-page listing of beds, tables, dressers, and chairs was "1974 Jensen Healey Mark II".  :-)  After two or three years of minimal use, he and his wife decided the car needed to be with an owner who knows something about cars and would be interested in getting it into better shape.  The last time the car passed an inspection was in 2002.

I was pleased to discover the odometer reads 38,225 miles and I got the impression from the seller that the speedometer had only recently failed.  After surprising my wife with the car on Saturday, I started looking around the trunk and, under the carpet, I discovered a state inspection report from 1998 at 38,225 miles.  Looking a little further, I found a repair bill from the early 1990s describing a vast overhaul to the tune of about US$5800.00.  The odometer was recorded at 38,225.  So I have no idea how many miles are really on the car. :-(  The repair work was in Durham NC.  I believe the car was purchased new in this region, but I don't know where.

I'm really excited, and so is my wife.  When I met her, she was driving a used 1979 MG and I was working in a service station.  It was a marriage made in Purgatory. ;-)  When she climbed in the passenger seat and I took her for a ride around the neighborhood, she laughed for three blocks straight.  I paid roughly $2000 to buy it and transfer the title -- if spend as much to improve it into something reasonably nice, it'll still be an incredible bargain and worth every penny.

Sorry for the long message, but I hope it was worth it.  Wow. ;-)

Jim Duncan in Raleigh, North Carolina.

PS: John, thank you for your kind comments.

Posted: 05-24-2008 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
77th Post
jnduncan

jnduncan wrote: I just bought 16766 from a neighbor as a birthday present for my wife.  I'll follow up with the engine number, etc., [...]
Okay, I have the data now: VIN 1110-16766, engine# B74 03 6513, manufactured 1974-05-31, 4-speed transmission, bright red exterior (repainted, but I believe it was red originally), black interior, runs okay but not great, needs a tune-up and other attention.  No spare engines, odometer unknown (stuck at 38,225 for decades).  Most recent state inspection in 2001 or 2002, so probably rarely driven since then.  According to old receipts that I found in the trunk, a major overhaul, repair, and refurbishment was completed in 1992, and the fuse box was replaced with several electrical repairs in 1997.

Jim Duncan, Raleigh NC USA

Posted: 05-25-2008 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
78th Post
dlg

JH 19946, excellent running condition, 5 speed, original wire wheels, engine #B74 12 10 972, Boca Raton, Florida, USA.

Purchased in 1980 in Garden Grove, CA.

Posted: 06-09-2008 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
79th Post
JodyFKerr

Found out about two JH's today.

VIN: 11068 - driver

VIN: 13785 - Parts car

Located in Southeast Texas. I can find more information if desired.

I also ran across another JH owner. I'll ask him for his VIN.

Last edited on 06-09-2008 09:48 pm by JodyFKerr

Posted: 07-14-2008 05:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
80th Post
Daveo

#16642  1974

Purchased by my Dad in 1985 in Sacramento, Ca. Shortly after purchase he replaced the Lotus with a 1972 2600cc Capri V6.

I took ownership in 1988 and have since moved to East Liverpool, OH.

She runs though is in much need of motor work as there is massive blowby.

Current time is 08:28 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > VIN Database for Jensen Healey & Jensen GT > Jensen Healey & Jensen GT VIN Database Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems