Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Seeking shims and answer on blocked oil drain

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Seeking shims and answer on blocked oil drain  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-16-2007 12:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
smcmanus

I'm looking for the following valve shims: .080, .082, .088, .089, .095, .095, .097, .098

If anyone has some to spare I have others to swap or will purchase from you.

I previously posed a question about the exhaust cam case aft drain being intentionally plugged with some type of epoxy.  I cannot see how this is a good idea. Well maybe rust inhibition promoted by the heavy oil coating on the bottom side of the car is good.   This car has been apart before and the perp obviously didn't have access to a manual or this site.

Thanks

Steve

Attachment: jhcamoilhole.jpg (Downloaded 42 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-16-2007 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

On three of the four cam carriers that I have the hole you speak of is not there. There is an aluminum web in it's place. The fourth is open on both ends. I have seen the epoxy plug on the cam carriers that are on my running engine. Just run it the way it is unless you have a good reason to change it.

Kurt

Posted: 01-16-2007 05:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Chris E

I'm guessing that restricting the oil return is a quick fix from the factory for extra cooling in the vicinity of #4 cyl. (search other threads for info on improving coolant circulation & restricting oil flow) 

Chris

Posted: 01-17-2007 11:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
smcmanus

The result of this drain hole being blocked is that the cam housing fills almost completely with oil.  With this hole blocked the oil has to reach the level of the front upper drain hole before it returns to the pan.  When I pulled the cover I'm guessing a quart of oil dumped out. 

If this is desireable I will leave the glob in place.  If not, I will remove it.

Thanks

Steve

Posted: 01-17-2007 01:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Judson Manning

Leave the epoxy in place.  That was a 'fix' done to the early castings, later castings (mkIII aka JH5) are all solid.  The design was later revised with the introduction of the 910.

This 'fix' was done to combat the cams in early engines from siezing in the cam journals.  Additional 'fixes' include changes to the cam-to-journal clearance, and revisions to the oil delivery to the cam itself.

Oil does pool in the cam cover which contributes to the leakage problem, but it's vital to keep certain parts of the valvetrain lubricated.  Remember, the exhaust valve is basically horizontal and gravity is not helping.

Between the cam cover and the oil cooler, the engine traps about 1-2qts of dirty oil at all times.  That's why I always suggest multiple oil changes to flush the system.

Posted: 01-18-2007 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Judson Manning wrote: Leave the epoxy in place.  That was a 'fix' done to the early castings, later castings (mkIII aka JH5) are all solid.  The design was later revised with the introduction of the 910.

Did Lotus change the casting revision code when they added the metal web, or did they just do some Fine English FettlingTM on the dies?

Posted: 01-18-2007 09:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
smcmanus

Exactly what I wanted to know!

Thanks

Steve

Posted: 01-19-2007 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ron Earp

Judson,

I don't remember my head having any epoxy on it, do you? I also don't think that my head is a JH III head?

Ron

Posted: 01-21-2007 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Judson Manning

Ron,

The epoxy 'fix' is fairly rare.  It can only be found on those left-over castings when they switched over from rope-seal (#2760) to lip-seal blocks.  My original (early) MkII engine #3521 had the epoxy.  I can only guess all engines after 4030 received the revised (solid journal webbing and blocked oil drain) cam towers.

Your engine has the later castings.  Don't ask me why I switched your intake tower for an earlier version (can't give away all my secrets!).

The real 'fix' is an Accusump to pre-oil the journals prior to start-up.  The other thing is to keep the revs up (i.e. +50psi of pressure) to keep enough oil feeding the head.   In your case, you'll burn a valve and need a head-job long before your guides will wear due to a lack of lubrication.

Judson

Posted: 02-01-2007 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
smcmanus

An update with the notion that some of this information will be usefull to someone at some point in the future.

The engine is all back together and the clearances are all spot on.  This was the longest valve adjustment in history.  It took over a month.  It would have taken a day if I had a shim assortment.  Even after getting the shims, I had to fine tune 3 of them with 400 grit emery paper to get them down about 1 thousandth.  I think I had it together and apart 5 times.  BTW, The shims were $2.25ea at Delta. 

I was very confused about the cam housing gaskets.  The Delta guy said I should use them, but the manual and all advice was not to.  I elected to eliminate the gaskets.  I was unable to find Loctite 504.  Eventually I settled on Loctite 518 as recommended by Lotus.  I read the instructions and step 2 involve spraying one surface with Loctite clean n prime activator.  I asked my jobber about it and he gave me a blank stare.  I called the Loctite hotline (1-800-LOCTITE) and talked to an expert.  I learned more in that phone conversation about sealants than I will ever need to know.  The guy was very helpful and told me that the clean n prime activator wasn't needed unless sealing plated or anodized surfaces.

Thanks

Steve

Current time is 06:52 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Seeking shims and answer on blocked oil drain Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems