Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Tips for Towing a Jensen Healey on a U-Haul Trailer?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tips for Towing a Jensen Healey on a U-Haul Trailer?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-30-2023 02:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Hello JHPS

I'm planning a trip up to the SVRA race at Watkins Glen next week. I'll be driving up on Wednesday morning to Ithaca and staying with in-laws. I'll drive from Ithaca to Watkins Glen every day in the Jensen Healey (keeping an eye on the weather.....). This is going to be a "Bucket List" trip if I can pull it off.

I'll be putting the JH onto a U-Haul trailer. I've never driven a trailer before but I did rent one a couple weeks ago and practiced without the JH loaded. Our Explorer is rated for 5000 lb towing capacity.

As I won't have any help getting the car on or off, I bought a 4,500 lb winch. It works well and is probably overkill but it was worth it so that I could bring the car up onto the trailer slowly and off again.

I'll be connecting the winch cable (maybe a fabric sling) to the front cross member and winching up on the trailer. I didn't want to drive the car up onto it because with the five foot width is the same as the inside of the U-Haul ramps. I won't have a "Spotter"....

But here are my questions, has anyone used a U-Haul trailer with their Jensen Healey? If so, what did you learn and how did you secure the car? I'm planning on using some 2x8s to ease the ramp angle as well as to raise the car at the stops. I'm taking off the front spoiler first. I'll be using the U-Haul front straps with the front wheels on a 2x8 cut to 1' long but I'm wondering how to secure the rear with chains. My car has a thick Addco sway bar and I was wondering if anyone had used the sway bar for the rear chains. I didn't want to run the chains over the rear because of the brake lines. Another option would be the control arms and I wanted to find out people's thoughts on that.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-30-2023 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Sander

In the rear, crisscross the straps. That will limit left to right movement and keep the vehicle centered. I've attached the straps over the rear control arms or over the axle outside the shocks. Maybe others will share where they make rear attachments.

Pull over and check a few times to make sure straps are still tight.

Enjoy the compliments and questions along the way!

Posted: 08-30-2023 04:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

Having hauled around my J-H many times in the past, a chain up and over the front of the diff. worked fine. The brakes lines were way out the the way and the chain was wrapped over the rear of the trailer. Do this before tightening down on the front winch so you can easily find where to adjust whatever clamping piece for the rear chain.
Call or email me if you wish more info.
bruce/redracer

Posted: 08-30-2023 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
healeyneil

If you’re not used to towing, check what the weight on the hitch should be. I’m in the UK so terminology may be different, but you want some weight on the front of the trailer. You can alter the balance by where on the trailer the car is sitting - I’m assuming here that the trailer has a long bed.

Posted: 09-01-2023 02:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Thanks all!

I got two, 800lb., ratchet straps that I was planning to cris-cross at the rear. I wanted to put them outside of the shocks. I'm glad to hear that this has been done.

Thanks for the suggestions to tighten the rear first. This makes sense. Bruce, I've been worried about the chain since I saw the U-Haul video so that's why I bought the straps.

healeyneil - I'm going to load everything into the back of the Explorer so there won't be anything in the JH "boot" and most of the weight will be at the front with the engine. The U-Haul trailer straps the front wheels to the front of the trailer at stops. So there's no opportunity to position the car differently.

More questions:

Do I need to install the hardtop while towing or if I can leave the tonneau cover in place? With the car facing forward, I figure that the amount of wind swirling won't be any different than driving. If it's rainy however, I may choose to install the hardtop.

Also, any opinions on the amount of fuel that I leave in the tank? I'm thinking for weight distribution, light on the fuel so that as much weight is at the front of the trailer.

Thanks again for all of the responses and suggestions!

Mark

Current time is 07:07 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Tips for Towing a Jensen Healey on a U-Haul Trailer? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems