View single post by WhatsUpDOHC
 Posted: 09-01-2023 02:16 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
WhatsUpDOHC

Thanks all!

I got two, 800lb., ratchet straps that I was planning to cris-cross at the rear. I wanted to put them outside of the shocks. I'm glad to hear that this has been done.

Thanks for the suggestions to tighten the rear first. This makes sense. Bruce, I've been worried about the chain since I saw the U-Haul video so that's why I bought the straps.

healeyneil - I'm going to load everything into the back of the Explorer so there won't be anything in the JH "boot" and most of the weight will be at the front with the engine. The U-Haul trailer straps the front wheels to the front of the trailer at stops. So there's no opportunity to position the car differently.

More questions:

Do I need to install the hardtop while towing or if I can leave the tonneau cover in place? With the car facing forward, I figure that the amount of wind swirling won't be any different than driving. If it's rainy however, I may choose to install the hardtop.

Also, any opinions on the amount of fuel that I leave in the tank? I'm thinking for weight distribution, light on the fuel so that as much weight is at the front of the trailer.

Thanks again for all of the responses and suggestions!

Mark