View single post by WhatsUpDOHC
 Posted: 08-30-2023 02:48 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
WhatsUpDOHC

Hello JHPS

I'm planning a trip up to the SVRA race at Watkins Glen next week. I'll be driving up on Wednesday morning to Ithaca and staying with in-laws. I'll drive from Ithaca to Watkins Glen every day in the Jensen Healey (keeping an eye on the weather.....). This is going to be a "Bucket List" trip if I can pull it off.

I'll be putting the JH onto a U-Haul trailer. I've never driven a trailer before but I did rent one a couple weeks ago and practiced without the JH loaded. Our Explorer is rated for 5000 lb towing capacity.

As I won't have any help getting the car on or off, I bought a 4,500 lb winch. It works well and is probably overkill but it was worth it so that I could bring the car up onto the trailer slowly and off again.

I'll be connecting the winch cable (maybe a fabric sling) to the front cross member and winching up on the trailer. I didn't want to drive the car up onto it because with the five foot width is the same as the inside of the U-Haul ramps. I won't have a "Spotter"....

But here are my questions, has anyone used a U-Haul trailer with their Jensen Healey? If so, what did you learn and how did you secure the car? I'm planning on using some 2x8s to ease the ramp angle as well as to raise the car at the stops. I'm taking off the front spoiler first. I'll be using the U-Haul front straps with the front wheels on a 2x8 cut to 1' long but I'm wondering how to secure the rear with chains. My car has a thick Addco sway bar and I was wondering if anyone had used the sway bar for the rear chains. I didn't want to run the chains over the rear because of the brake lines. Another option would be the control arms and I wanted to find out people's thoughts on that.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark