New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Uh Oh! First Issues Arrise  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-03-2011 12:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
NickJ

Good evening folks!

Well, this weekend was an adventure to say the least.

Currently, I live in Houston Texas but I am a longtime Dallas resident. My Jensen lives in Dallas for the time being as I don't have a garage down here. So Friday night I loaded up the dog and headed to Dallas. Early Saturday morning I was so excited to take the J-H to the local cars and coffee that I was at the shop at 6:00 with the car. All fluids checked out fine and she fired right up!

I ran it up and down the street a few times and all was well.

About 10 miles away I was coming up on a light that was changing to red.......I pressed in on the pedal and we started to slow and the WHAM! Pedal to the floor, no brakes!

Since it was so early there was no traffic so I was able to run the light. I decided the best plan was to limp back to the shop. That was not fun at all!

Back at the shop I found the right front brake line was leaking and had coated that area in fluid. I turned the wheel to full lock to gain a better view and son of a !!!!! the line was kinked at 90 degrees and leaking from 2 spots.

I was lucky to find a custom hose shop and they made me up 2 new lines......a half inch longer. I installed them, bled the brakes and had a great rest of the day getting sunburned in the car. ;)

I noticed some other things that need to be addressed. I'll upload pics shortly.

In the meantime you can see the culprit brake line and pics of the car this weekend on my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bandto/

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

*******note: sorry about putting this in the wrong forum, mods could you be so kind as to move it to the appropriate section please?*******

Last edited on 10-03-2011 01:42 am by NickJ

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-03-2011 01:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Nick, nice looking car glad that you didn't snuff it without brakes, I gotta ask were you got the failed hoses from maybe you need to go back to them hate to think this might be waiting to happen to another JH driver.

Brett

Posted: 10-03-2011 02:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
NickJ

Thanks Brett, Im very pleased with the car.

I just got her about a month ago, so I am unsure where they came from. I went through all the receipts looking for when they were purchased with no luck. They are Aeroquip braided hoses and have been on the car for 10 years at least (they have red overspray on them from the repaint).

Interesting that they held out as long as they did......

Posted: 10-06-2011 05:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mason Jones

Hi Nick,
I grew up in Dallas and was just up there last weekend visiting my folks. Give me a holler next time you head up there. I live in Austin and make the trip to Dallas often and would love to see your car!

Your experience with the brake cable reminded me of something I’ve been meaning to post about. I recently replaced the flex lines with a set from Delta. They are the exact same length as what was on the car. But, when the wheel is turned hard to one side or the other the brake line gets pulled very tight. So much so I’ve been tempted to add a right-angle extender to one end of the line to give it a little slack. Or as you did just put a slightly longer line on there.

Here’s the left wheel straight:

And here it is turned hard left:

Anyone have an idea if this is normal? Seems like an extra inch would go a long way to extending the life of this hose.

Mason

Posted: 10-06-2011 11:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
NickJ

Hey Mason, good to see another Texan J-H owner! :)

What part of DFW are your folks in? There is going to be a cool car cruise next weekend....Forest Lane Reunion (Forest and Marsh), we will be there with a few of our cars and the Jensen of course. Neat little white one you have there, I have a similar aftermarket hood support! lol

As far as the brake lines go, it was a bit of a surprise. Just glad I didn't crater the car! I thought for sure that the master had given out and that was the first place I looked for leaks. Noticing the resevoir was about empty, I started looking under the car....hard to miss.

You can see the gunk built up from the fluid spraying....for who knows how long.

Here is the culprit, and the replacements (with strain relief). The left side line was so stubborn I had to butcher it with dykes and take a socket to the fitting.

Also brake related.....does anyone know what in the heck is going on here? This is the left rear drum. Where the bleeder screw should be is a glob of silicone and a piece of tubing held up with some janky safety wire.

Also of note, whoever readied this car for auction, really loved their safety wire......they just didn't own a set of safety wire pliers! :P

Posted: 10-08-2011 04:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mason Jones

Hey Nick,

Man, wish I could make it this weekend. Next time we'll be up is after Thanksgiving. My parents live on the east side, Pleasant Grove.

Sorry for all the tangents in the VIN Database section. I'm reposting the brake question in "Brakes" as I'm curious what others more experienced than me think.

Mason

Posted: 10-10-2011 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sander

beautiful car.  looks like you're missing the vertical metal strips near the tail lamps.  i've got them "in stock" if you'd like to buy them.

no idea what that metal line is from the wheel cylinder ... i've got new ones, made in italy?, if you need 'em.  let us know what it is if/when you figure it out!

i never knew there were so many jh's in tx.  i'm in austin today, dallas tomorrow and back in 'lanta weeks end.  i own a rental "between a rock and a weird place".

Posted: 10-10-2011 07:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mason Jones

Sander wrote: i never knew there were so many jh's in tx.  i'm in austin today, dallas tomorrow and back in 'lanta weeks end.  i own a rental "between a rock and a weird place".
Hey, P'ville!
Email me off list if you have time to stop by (or just call 512#740#0028). We're in east Austin, 290/183 area. My JH is not the prettiest but mechanically it's shaping up! It's a process you know...
Mason

Last edited on 10-10-2011 07:19 pm by Mason Jones

Posted: 10-11-2011 12:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
NickJ

Hill Country Jensen Healey Rally anyone? HCJH! Would be fun winding down 281. Photo shoots at Enchanted Rock, Fredricksburg and Luckenbach!

.......any excuse to get out there!

Current time is 03:10 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > VIN Database for Jensen Healey & Jensen GT > Uh Oh! First Issues Arrise Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems