Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
11040 has moved to Austin, Texas  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-08-2011 05:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Mason Jones

Almost a month later I finally got the rear brakes back together. So the car now has brand new calipers, master, rear cylinders and hoses. It feels like a new car. The pedal is good and stiff and the brakes don’t lock up. And with new shoes the parking brake works.

I had to replace one steel brake line--I rounded the nut trying to get it off then took a pair of tin snips to it to teach it a lesson. It was asking for it.

I discovered you can get replacements at Autozone. Their generic steel brake lines come in standard 3/8-24 thread which fits. I just had to buy a pipe union (also at Autozone) to attach one end to the flex line.

Here are the specs (20” line was perfect for the short line on the left rear):
PolyArmour PAB-320 3/16 x 20” pipe, bubble flare with 3/8-24 thread fitting on both ends. ($4.99)

AGS BLU-7C  3/16” pipe union, bubble flare with 3/8-24 thread. ($1.49) --The first one of these was deformed inside and would not seal. I could actually see that the hole inside was slightly off center. The replacement worked.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-10-2011 09:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Mason Jones

Glory be, the JH successfully passed inspected! I’ve been driving it to work all week, proudly flaunting my working turn signals. This is the first time I’ve driven it out of the neighborhood since I drove it home 6 months ago. What a dang fun car it is to drive!

I was glad to see the temp stayed steady at about 1/3 on the gauge. But after she warms up the idle starts to creep up from 1100 to about 2800 when I’m at a stop light. Doesn’t do it when the engine’s cold.

I also notice that when the car is cold I only need the choke out to start it. I have to immediately push the choke in as soon as it starts or it will rev way up before the oil pressure has even had a chance to come up. Not sure if that’s normal.

Anyway, the car is a blast to drive. I don’t care if it feels like the doors are going to rattle off on every bump or that the seats are so far gone I feel like I’m sitting on a bucket. I showed it to my 14-year-old niece and she simply frowned at it.

Posted: 11-15-2011 09:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
subwoofer

Idle taking off when warm sounds like a vacuum leak. There are loads of vacuum lines on the Strombergs, I think most of them can be plugged.

Or you could get some proper carbs on there...

--
Joachim

Posted: 11-15-2011 11:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Mason Jones

subwoofer wrote: Idle taking off when warm sounds like a vacuum leak. There are loads of vacuum lines on the Strombergs, I think most of them can be plugged.

Or you could get some proper carbs on there...

Poor ol' Strombergs get no respect! I'm kind of on a budget so I'm stuck with 'em for now.

I'll check for vacuum leaks first. The car has the Pertronix ignition and so the vacuum hose that was connected to the spark advance on the distributor is gone. Not sure where it came from on the other end but if it didn't get plugged when they installed the Pertronix that could be a possibility.

If I don't find any vacuum leaks I guess I'll check the mixture next. I can often start the car cold (air temp around 60 deg.) w/o even pulling out the choke which makes me think it may be running rich.

Posted: 11-15-2011 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Mason Jones

Joachim, forgot to reply to an earlier post...now that the oil gauge is working again I see the pressure goes down to about 40 when the engine warms up fully (down from 60 when cold).

Current time is 07:57 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 11040 has moved to Austin, Texas Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems