Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Side light marker RUBBER!!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-26-2017 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
redracer

Some of you may already know this, but there is now "FRESH" rubber for our cracked/deteriorated side light markers(also the same for Interceptors).
I received a sample from British Part Northwest(sku 54583858/9, $47.52 + ship; Layton, 503-864-2001, has all the info)and the fit is excellent and yes, the rubber I was told is only 3 months old.
Layton told me that originally, they had tried Malaysia, but the rubber and fit were not good. He finally settled on an Italian firm(these were made for a Triumph Spitfire)
I just got off the phone with him about one slight difference: the rubber labeled "L", which is for the right front/left rear(RF/LR) has the 2 bulb socket mounting holes on the opposite diagonal? Layton told me the Spitfires had 4 body holes for the mounting, but he may have this altered. The other rubber label "R" for left front/right rear is fine. Drilling 2 holes in the "L" rubber for our cars is fairly simple, so not to worry about ordering.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-27-2017 02:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Rick Willard

For what it's worth, Delta also sells the rubber for the side markers - at least they did 2 years ago when I got the rubber for all 4 of my markers. It is the "Spitfire" mold, which means that it doesn't have that "tapered profile" like the originals. However, the rubber is brand new, soft, and holds together perfectly when you have to change a bulb (which I had to do a couple of weeks ago). Delta gets $20 per marker, and it's completely worth it. You receive the rubber for the marker and just move everything else (meaning the internal mounting plate under the reflector, the bulb socket, the red/yellow plastic pieces, and the chrome finisher) over to the new rubber. For me, it was a perfect fit and an economical alternative to trying to buy original "tapered" rubber that is about 4x more expensive than these rubber pieces. If our cars ever start to become crazy expensive collector cars and original tapered rubber is mandatory, I'll do it. Until then, I have yet to have a JH owner notice any difference, unless I specifically point it out. Thanks for posting on this subject!

Posted: 06-27-2017 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

Didn't know Delta sold any except for complete assemblies:
The ones that B.P. Northwest sells ARE tapered with one side(the top/upper side) a little wider than than other long tapered side. These are a PERFECT match to the originals, except for the small bolt holes as I already described. (and no, they don't have "LUCAS" etc. stamped on them either on the "unseen" areas)

Posted: 07-24-2017 08:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
allstateguy

might anyone have a spare trim to go on the rubber? I just looked at my left front, and on my last drive, it must have flown (ha) off.

BTW, just ordered the rubbers mentioned above from BPNorthwest. I thought they were $47 each, but that is for all four! Yay!

Posted: 07-24-2017 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
redracer

yes; have whatever you need(EXCEPT new rubber) use & new, for whatever you need. Good idea to check ALL the light fixtures after you get new rubber(don't forget to drill the 2 hole I mentioned above; used a 3/16" drill bit)

Posted: 11-17-2018 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

Just installed the new rubber from B/P Northwest, very pleased with the results. Like Red said I had to drill holes in a couple of them(no big deal)but for 47 bucks you can't beat it. My only complaint is while they look great, they don't stand out because my car is black.

Current time is 04:38 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Side light marker RUBBER!! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems