Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > 13556 back on road but some newbie questions

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
13556 back on road but some newbie questions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-15-2017 01:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
stuartmorgan

Hi all
Stu from Down Under
An update, Tangerine 4 speed 13556 is officially back on the road and running like a bird... But
Being a V8 interceptor guy, all this twin OHC stuff is a learning curve, as is the entire JH experience, so all help appreciated
1. I have a knock under floor in left rear of parcel shelf? When I go over bumps, so not constant, I checked spare shell carrier and everything else, nothing seems loose??? It's a RHD car, so noise is a thump on floor pan behind passenger seat, almost like diff hitting or shocker?? Maybe fuel tank, but I don't think so... Any ideas
2. Cam belt cover, it's the original one, OMG you have to remover radiator, then fan to get it off!! Is there a two piece version available?? Or any mod's
3. Dash lights ! It was getting dark coming back from tuning guy, lights in dash are working, but dim, is it the control knob or the lights? Or just the way they are
4. Corner of bonnet is sitting up near scuttle on passenger side, it has the original stay, what is best adjustment to get it to sit flat
Any help appreciated
Cheers
Stu

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-15-2017 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

1) most likely part of exhaust hitting floor pan or transmission bracket
2)later covers are 2 piece, with many just leaving only the top one on for easy belt tensioning. Years ago, I did take someone's one piece '73 cover and convert into a 3 piece with metal brackets riveted and screws(not too difficult)
3)lights are dim, even with a full 12 volts. Haven't looked yet for LED replacements, so give it a shot
4)the 2 bolts mounting the top to the body bracket: the FRONT bolt is adjusted as high as possible and the REAR bolt is as low as possible. Haven't seen any adjustments any other way(maybe after an accident?)
bruce madden

Posted: 06-15-2017 05:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Screenplay

Hi Stu,
Great to hear it's on the road.
Regarding the knock, have you checked the exhaust? That's right about where it passes over the differential. I believe if the mount here is the original style (these things do get changed over time) the pipe bracket hangs over the bracket coming off the bottom of the car, and the two parts sandwich a rubber isolator. That isolator could look fine, but is actually cracked. Push up on the exhaust system while under the car and see if moves enough to contact the underside of the body. Even if it's not the original style, the exhaust system seems to be a likely suspect.

Yes, there is a two piece cam belt shroud; Delta shows it in their catalogue. Also, I imagine someone is likely to have a used one; they should be plentiful, or is that optimistic?

My lights were always somewhat dim - some have said that a higher amp alternator can change things quite noticeably. But obviously there are other factors when it comes to electricity, and hopefully others who are wiser on the subject can weigh in.

Best of luck,
Clinton

Posted: 06-15-2017 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
NigelK

Hi Stu

I agree with Bruce re the bonnet hinge bolts. Easiest way to do the job is to slightly loosen both boots and then, with the bonnet open at the orientation it would be with the bonnet stay in place, pull back on the leading edge of the bonnet and while holding the bonnet back in the same position tighten the bolts. This will bring the front bolt up and the rear bolt down and make the bonnet sit flat.

Re the instrument lights, yes they are dim as standard. Some owners have successfully brightened them up by replacing the original bulbs with LED bulbs.

Good luck!

Posted: 06-15-2017 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
redracer

Nigel: I would be very interested if you knew or could find out what LED bulbs work for the instrument panel. I've done the rear running, stop, turn, and back-ups with good success.
I had to leave the regular bulbs in the front as there was not enough current to "blink" them, but that is fine as I was only concerned with people not plowing into me upon braking and rainy/foggy conditions

Posted: 06-16-2017 05:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
NigelK

I believe the instrument bulbs are LLB987. A quick Google search came up with these https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/2-x-jaguar-mk2-triumph-tr3-tr4-tr6-speedo-rev-counter-led-gauge-bulbs-e10-mes-glb987-llb987-c15788

Delta also sell brighter 5W conventional bulbs part number MS1205

Last edited on 06-16-2017 05:56 am by NigelK

Posted: 06-16-2017 02:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
redracer

Thanks, Nigel; will check it out.

Posted: 06-17-2017 09:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Frank Schwartz

Nice, very bright instrument bulbs are available only from Delta very inexpensively...and you will be delighted that you can actually see your instruments at night...suggest you bypass the miserable little panel dimmer switch which is worthless anyhow. No need to spend a lot of money on led lamps. I think I had an article on using these great inexpensive bulbs in one of the JOC issues some years back. Can forward the article to you if you use my off this link email mfsj2@comcast and give me your email address....I also use these bulbs in my Interceptor instruments with success.
As for the JH belt shroud..looks nice, but is hell to get off and on. Most people take them off and leave them on the parts shelf.
Regards,
Fra nk

Posted: 06-20-2017 12:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
stuartmorgan

Hi Bruce
Thanks mate
Yes it was the exhaust hitting the floor, I'm getting it sorted next week
I going to tackle the bonnet adjustment on the weekend
Cheers
Stu

Posted: 06-20-2017 12:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
stuartmorgan

Hi Nigel
Appreciate the link on the brighter bulbs, l may buy some and give them a go
Cheers
Stu

Posted: 06-20-2017 12:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
stuartmorgan

Hey Clinton
Hope your well
Yes it was a real hoot having it finally tuned and running great
Not to mention my original matching rubber Jensen floor mats!
I've just got some final cosmetic touches and some repairs to make to the original vinyl top and summer can't come quick enough down hear
I may invest in the new dash bulbs and a bigger output alternator
All the best
Cheers
Stu

Current time is 09:11 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > 13556 back on road but some newbie questions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems