New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gas fumes in the trunk  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-21-2011 12:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
MikeIsotech

Hi all

I've seen a post or two about gas fumes in the trunk of Healeys. I haven't yet heard that anyone has managed to solve the mystery. I've got a slight gas smell in my trunk and would like to know if I've got a problem.

The car has been recently fully restored so I know that the tank, hoses, filter, solid pipes etc are all ok. I've checked all of the jubilee clips and they're all tight. My suspicion is that it could be the sender unit seal. I also see that there's a small breather on the fuel pump - could that cause it?

All help, suggestions or comment gratefully received!

Mike

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-21-2011 04:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Wouldn't we all like to know! I was very careful about fixing everything when I restored my car, remanufactured tank, new seals all around, basically everything removed, resealed, replaced including the sending unit and fuel pump (I've experimented with different pumps too, I don't think that the fuel pump is the real problem). The fuel smell remains, grrr. My theory now centers around the way the Federal fuel tank recovery system draws in the vapors from the front of the car and that the recovery pipe itself is part if the problem, but not the actual cause. Does your JH fuel tank have a vapor recovery system at the top?

Posted: 10-21-2011 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
MikeIsotech

Similar situation here - everything has been replaced, including fitting a stainless tank from a wreck. The tank is great quality and doesn't leak. All of the rubber hoses and metal pipes have been changed as part of the restoration. A new, old stock, electronic SU pump was also fitted. All new jubilee clips which are all tight. The fuel system is in great condition and is mostly new.

We don't have the Federal recovery system on Healey's over here. They have a breather pipe which vents through a sealed hole in the trunk floor. I'm pretty sure this isn't the cause though...

Posted: 06-14-2012 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dthewlis

Same problem here with a twist. Two years ago we pulled the gas tank and had it rebuilt by Moyer's. Replaced the fuel pump and virtually everything else. Absolutely tight, no gas smell -- for about a year. Now it's intermittent and we cannot find anything to point at. About ready to pull the tank and reinstall from the ground up.

Posted: 06-14-2012 07:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jcdean

Does it happen when the tank is full or does it matter? I found a hose clamp that had pulled through the fill tube just enough that a bit of vigorous driving when just topped of caused the same issues. I even fixed after a year or so.

Posted: 06-15-2012 12:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

My thoughts on this issue, assuming the piping and seal etc are all correct there is a vent hose that goes thru the trunk floor and is supposed to go thru a box section then exit under the car, if this hose just goes into the box section and not out then that could be one point.

Another point could be the hose is were it is supposed to go and the vapors are venting just fine but the rear trunk floor were it meets the rear valance (light panel) is supposed to be caulked and seam sealed, if your caulking was anything like mine it is dried out and falling off, maybe just maybe the fumes are finding there way up thru this gap.

Brett

Posted: 02-11-2016 08:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
gmgiltd

Old subject that never seems to go away but I may have come across a potential solution while I was researching suitable fuel hose for a fuel injection conversion going to a 3 bar (45psi) system instead of a 3psi one.
I was not aware that even high quality fuel hose sweats to some extent resulting in some fuel vapour in enclosed places. Below is advertising blurb from one of the high level suppliers which I have cut and pasted in. Note the relevant section about PTFE lining against the normal nitrile lining.

Goodridge 200 & 210 Series Hose
Goodridge 200 Series hose has the highest corrosion and fire resistance threshold of any stainless braided nitrile hose available. It can be used with all synthetic lubricants, fuels, oils, coolants and alcohols including methanol and nitro methane. This hose is perfectly manufactured for efficient and reliable use with Goodridge 136, 1136, 236, 336 and 2776 Series Hose Ends. The traditional racing hose.

Goodridge 210 Series hose has the same high spec standards as the 200 Series hose but features a lightweight black fibre outer braid which has high levels of abrasion resistance, making it a lighter hose than standard 200 Series hose. Still used with 136, 1136, 236, 336 and 2776 range of Goodridge hose fittings. Also used in some Classic applications.

Goodridge 811 Series Hose
Goodridge 811 Series braided hose features PTFE inner bore making ideal for transferring fuel within the cockpit/cabin of vehicles as it does not give off any fluid fumes, unlike the 200 series hose. The Goodridge 811 hose is smooth bored and features anti-static properties and convoluted outside for amazing flexibility.

Designed for use with 811 Series re-usable fittings.

Gordon

Posted: 02-11-2016 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Frank Schwartz

There have been many theories as to this bothersome phenomenon. I do not have an answer. My son put a5 inch computer fan in one side of his trunk where the access plate is to the side markers and put a screen on the other side as an outlet...the fan is on when the ignition is on and it works nicely...as long as you are driving. Another theory...not explored, is that the fumes are coming from under the gas cap, down through the casual fit of that big rubber washer and hence into the trunk area.

Posted: 02-12-2016 04:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Frank Schwartz

There was some talk long ago on the Internet about this...I have retained a few of the comments with credit for such as well.
In response to my query on the Jensen email group as to the true cause of the gasoline smell in the JH trunk (hood). Here I what I had received:

Everyone knows that this is the Jansen automatic “air freshener” - it substitutes for that tree-shaped cutout that is doped with a pine scent typically seen hanging from mirrors. It is quite superior to the trees in covering up musty smells in the boot from moisture that often finds its way inside to rot the carpets and the bottom of the fuel tank.
Tim Fults

That’s Eau de Jensen, Frank. Very exclusive. Guaranteed to light the fire of any woman (or man, for that matter.) The only time you wont detect it’s odor is when for some reason your Jensen won’t start.
Paul Norton

I would be very surprised.
Kees Oudesluijs (Commenting on my asking of anyone really knew the cause)

This is a backup in case the fuel gauge stops working.
Steve Fuller

Posted: 02-12-2016 08:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
gmgiltd

Hi Frank,
I was trying to point out that the standard nitrile lined hose which most of us use could well be the main contributor to the problem after a period of time - its banned from 'in car' use in most competition classes over here. My GT has a different layout to the Healey - most of the fuel lines are under the car but some still pass through the inside.
Incidentally the explosive range for gasoline in air as expressed as a percentage is between 1.4 and 7.6% by volume so I would hope that your sons computer fan is of an intrinsically safe type designed for its working environment.
Gordon

Current time is 02:49 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Gas fumes in the trunk Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems