|I found a pair of front crossmember upper mounting assemblies in my pile of stuff. My car has never had the bushings in these replaced so I was interested to see what the process would entail.
The rubber inside looks molded into the metal but is actually two pieces so it was easy to remove with a screwdriver. The crush tube was flopping around inside the worn bushing. I used the best to make some plaster molds and ordered some two part shore A 80 polyurethane from McMaster/Carr for $36.
Following the directions carefully I weighed the liquids and stirred them together. It easily flowed into the molds and a bit of tapping removed the air bubbles. It's supposed to cure at 77 degrees for 48 hours so I put the molds on the water heater for a few days. Then the molds were cracked off the new bushings. They fit snugly into the metal after a good slathering with silicone grease. The outer part is a bit rough, but functional.
Shore A 80 is much firmer than the stock bushings which are probably Shore A 60.
Now under the car I go... Don't follow me!