View single post by PF18602
 Posted: 05-18-2020 03:35 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
PF18602

I took Kurt’s idea when looking at my crossmember assembly bushings. They were in dire need of replacement, but at 84 a piece from Delta, and already over budget, I figured I could stand to learn a few new skills.

I talked with some friends who have a 3D printer, downloaded Fusion 360 (free CAD software), and went to work. Designed what the part should look like, printed that and tested it, then made some modifications and printed a female mold off of that part.

I went with shore a 60 polyurethane from McMaster-Carr. Its made by Forsch Polymer from Colorado. The compound really was easy to work, and a call to the company had shed some light on questions I had. It’s firm, but a bit more squishy than some of the bushings I had bought from Martin Robey. I greased everything up with Pam, and poured the mixed 2 part rubber in and let it sit over night. Too easy! I did have to break apart the mold to get them out, but I was expecting that. And it cost about $2 to make, so it wasn’t a loss.

In the end, it feels quite good to have accomplished this. And I now feel that it’s an approachable task for anyone that’s looking to save some money and learn something. I’ll probably be looking to make some “drawings” of other bushings so I can replace others as I go. More pics on the Facebook page.

Wash your hands!
Patrick

Attachment: 1DD36149-554B-4AA9-B32B-BFEEF8B723B1.jpeg (Downloaded 68 times)

Last edited on 05-18-2020 04:42 pm by PF18602