View single post by Jim Picot
 Posted: 08-06-2014 01:50 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim Picot

Hi John, I recently did everything as you did - didn't plan to pull the front subframe but couldn't bolt newly painted suspension components to a grubby subframe. Just as well too, as the subframe had a few minor corrosion problems and the lower wishbone holes had become elongated through wear of failed bushes. These were all welded up after sandblasting and everything (subframe and all old and new suspension components) painted with POR15.

I see you chose powder coating though. I'm a bit suspicious of powder coating (especially on suspension parts) as it is very brittle and always ultimately cracks through flexing or stone damage. The POR15 is tougher and more flexible so I'm expecting a longer life. I'd be interested to know your experiences after you've had the new suspension in service for a while.

Same with the rear - I couldn't bring myself to bolt newly painted upper and lower arms/springs/dampers to an oily and peeling axle, so that came out and was sandblasted and repainted too. Just as well, as I discovered a leaking pinion shaft seal which was duly replaced (MUCH easier with the axle out!). All looks superb.