New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Making Bushings  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-10-2011 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I found a pair of front crossmember upper mounting assemblies in my pile of stuff. My car has never had the bushings in these replaced so I was interested to see what the process would entail.

The rubber inside looks molded into the metal but is actually two pieces so it was easy to remove with a screwdriver. The crush tube was flopping around inside the worn bushing. I used the best to make some plaster molds and ordered some two part shore A 80 polyurethane from McMaster/Carr for $36.

Following the directions carefully I weighed the liquids and stirred them together. It easily flowed into the molds and a bit of tapping removed the air bubbles. It's supposed to cure at 77 degrees for 48 hours so I put the molds on the water heater for a few days. Then the molds were cracked off the new bushings. They fit snugly into the metal after a good slathering with silicone grease. The outer part is a bit rough, but functional.

Shore A 80 is much firmer than the stock bushings which are probably Shore A 60.

Now under the car I go... Don't follow me!

Kurt

JH 13148

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-10-2012 02:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Robert Janca

Cool!

Also, I live in El Cerrito.

R.

Posted: 02-27-2013 10:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
francisg

Are these the bushings used to connect the cross-member to the chassis? Pictures would be great. I am in San Rafael.
FG

Posted: 02-28-2013 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Yes, I never got around to installing them. It's a PITA to drop the subframe.

Posted: 05-15-2014 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
johnstyers

I just replaced these bushings this winter when I was replacing all of the original bushings with the poly type.  I found the dropping of the subframe the least of the problems! 

I have a parking lift so I just put a 5 foot floor jack stand with a 2x4 to dissipate the weight.  I lowered the lift to support/raise the engine and undid the necessary bolts.  I had already removed all of the front suspension as I was determined to get all that 39 year old metal out of there and had it powder coated.  I went a little nuts.

I removed the right side suspension parts first to keep the left side in tact as a guide.  I wasnt in a rush, so i went slow....all the parts went to the powder coater, but when the parts came back and I went to install...I couldnt do it!  I mean, here are these beautifully powdercoated parts and I am going to bolt them on to this scuzzy, dirty subframe....nope...couldnt do it. So, out came the left side suspension parts, took off the steering rack and voila!....six more bolts and out came the subframe.

When it came back, wow, i just laid our all the parts and stared at them...took pics....drank a beer....best Saturday night date EVER!  Shined....looked young....fresh...didnt say anything....not cheap, but wow!

While I was there, I took the opportunity to clean up the sump, repainted the motore mounts, and repainted the wheel wells with a POR15 chassis paint.

I also ordered all new hardware....ALL NEW....in grade 8 so I could have that cadmium color against the shiny black. I had to dig through McMaster Carr and Fastenal to find everything...including the all metal lock nuts.....Whoa.....now when i have it lifted to park my Mini underneath, I get to see this magnificent piece of mechanical art. It also helps me forget my upper subframe woes...

oh yea....subframe bushings....the issue I had with the upper subframe bushings was that mine were completely shot.  Bushings were shot, rubber was all worn out...there was light between the bushing and the rubber!  They had to go, and as I was unaware I could a Mythbusters plaster casting and 2 part magic potion, I called Delta.

This is where the problem began.  I ordered two replacements from Delta and one of the inner bushings was too narrow for the 7/16ths bolt.  It was 15mm and therefore, would not accommodate the 7/16th bolt.  The other bushing worked just fine.  I called Delta and they checked the others they had in their parts bin only to find out that they had some which were 7/16ths and some 15mm, so they sent me a new 7/16ths one.  Unfortunately, as I went to install the new ones with the subframe, I found the aforementioned bushings were both too short, causing the subframe to "collapse" as I torqued down the nut.  As i compared the old to the new, I saw that the original bushings were just flush with the bushings and fit the subframe channel with limited clearance.  The ones from delta were a full 1/4in too short.  I contacted Delta and they told me that as these were new parts FROM JENSEN supplier overseas, they had not sold them and not aware of the issue.  They were VERY responsive and helpful....kudos to DELTA!!!!  In the end, I had a couple of bushings made locally by a friend and back up went the subframe!

I took a billion photos to help remind me what had a flat washer, what had a lock washer, etc. I have way too many and need to edit.  They're not exactly in order either, but I do have the photos of the upper subframe bushings and a few shots of the completed project.

Now the rear looks like crap....

Here's the photobucket file:

Jensen Healey Front Suspension Rebuild

It rides great and looks fantastic!  If you are going to the East meet in Monroe, WI,  I will be the guy laying on the ground, looking up at the bottom of my car!

Posted: 05-15-2014 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jcdean

So, if I bring my own pillow can I lay under your car as well? 

That looks amazing.

Posted: 05-15-2014 09:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Wow, that looks fantastic! I'm still dreading the job.

Posted: 08-06-2014 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jim Picot

Hi John, I recently did everything as you did - didn't plan to pull the front subframe but couldn't bolt newly painted suspension components to a grubby subframe. Just as well too, as the subframe had a few minor corrosion problems and the lower wishbone holes had become elongated through wear of failed bushes. These were all welded up after sandblasting and everything (subframe and all old and new suspension components) painted with POR15.

I see you chose powder coating though. I'm a bit suspicious of powder coating (especially on suspension parts) as it is very brittle and always ultimately cracks through flexing or stone damage. The POR15 is tougher and more flexible so I'm expecting a longer life. I'd be interested to know your experiences after you've had the new suspension in service for a while.

Same with the rear - I couldn't bring myself to bolt newly painted upper and lower arms/springs/dampers to an oily and peeling axle, so that came out and was sandblasted and repainted too. Just as well, as I discovered a leaking pinion shaft seal which was duly replaced (MUCH easier with the axle out!). All looks superb.

Posted: 04-10-2016 11:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
dbeliveau74

That does look fantastic!!
It is defiantly a more complicated suspension set up than My Spitfire!!

Do you have the list of hardware you ordered from McMaster Carr and Fastenal?
Thanks,
Cheers Dan

Attachment: 80Spit after2a (450 x 338).jpg (Downloaded 175 times)

Posted: 08-01-2016 08:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
redracer

very nice; one thing we do when doing a total front suspension rebuild is the weld a thick heavy duty washer((or equivalent) to the front subframe where the bolt for the lower arm bushing comes out. You may have noticed that the hole there is somewhat "wallowed" because there is only one piece of stamped metal(the rear portion is thicker due to the rear subframe arm attachment).

Posted: 08-01-2016 11:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jim Picot

Yes, this is what I did with mine - but instead of a washer, it was a piece of steel bar machined to the precise size and much thicker than a washer (thanks Ross Hockley!). This was a necessary fix as the holes were badly elongated through wear - the bushes had never been replaced and had worn out completely, putting all the wear onto the subframe. As redracer points out, there is only one thickness of metal at the front to take that wear - which it doesn't. See before and after pics!

Attachment: sub-frame.jpg (Downloaded 143 times)

Posted: 08-01-2016 11:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jim Picot

After:

Attachment: Repaired sub-frame.jpg (Downloaded 140 times)

Posted: 08-02-2016 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
redracer

Great--you're reading my mind!

Posted: 05-18-2020 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
PF18602

I took Kurt’s idea when looking at my crossmember assembly bushings. They were in dire need of replacement, but at 84 a piece from Delta, and already over budget, I figured I could stand to learn a few new skills.

I talked with some friends who have a 3D printer, downloaded Fusion 360 (free CAD software), and went to work. Designed what the part should look like, printed that and tested it, then made some modifications and printed a female mold off of that part.

I went with shore a 60 polyurethane from McMaster-Carr. Its made by Forsch Polymer from Colorado. The compound really was easy to work, and a call to the company had shed some light on questions I had. It’s firm, but a bit more squishy than some of the bushings I had bought from Martin Robey. I greased everything up with Pam, and poured the mixed 2 part rubber in and let it sit over night. Too easy! I did have to break apart the mold to get them out, but I was expecting that. And it cost about $2 to make, so it wasn’t a loss.

In the end, it feels quite good to have accomplished this. And I now feel that it’s an approachable task for anyone that’s looking to save some money and learn something. I’ll probably be looking to make some “drawings” of other bushings so I can replace others as I go. More pics on the Facebook page.

Wash your hands!
Patrick

Attachment: 1DD36149-554B-4AA9-B32B-BFEEF8B723B1.jpeg (Downloaded 67 times)

Last edited on 05-18-2020 04:42 pm by PF18602

Posted: 05-20-2020 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
noomg

PF,

You were over budget the day you bought your Jensen-Healey. I've just recently spent about 8K on a new paint job and leather interior and a whole bunch of extras. Probably a poor investment but I don't care, it looks amazing.

On the other hand when I bought a '62 Lotus Super Seven in 1977 for $4500 a buddy told me I was absolutely insane, I had to agree with him, but no matter I wanted that car. It was obvious to any sane person I'd never recoup my money, especially since I put another $1500 into it. Lo and behold four years later I sold the car for $9500! You just never know.

Current time is 02:16 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Making Bushings Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems