Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
123ignition  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-07-2008 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
subwoofer

In theory these units from 123ignition.nl should give most of the advantages of a crankfire system while not looking out of place. A vacuum advance (with gearshift retard) unit should be a fine replacement for the stock distributor.

Has anyone tried these units? Not cheap, but still cheaper than a Megasquirt, which would be one of the cheapest options for crankfire ignition, right?

--

Joachim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-08-2008 08:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Harkes

Hi Joachim,
i was once interested in these because my relatively new Aldon Automotive distributor was leaking oil over the shaft.

Then i heard that some people weren't vary satisfied with the 123ignition distributors so it made me doubt. Also the Lotus requires a different distributor then other classic cars. My leaking distributor was missing a (2nd) bearing inside, which is normal for other cars but the Lotus engine needs this bearing!! Would 123ignition know this? the people at Aldon had forgotten about it even...

Then i thought: i already have the Pertronix Ignitor II and MSD6a so why don't i send back my leaking distributor to Aldon...

I did. Aldon fixed it (..the bearing) and gave it the best suitable curve for my 2.2L engine. So why have 16 curves when only one does the job best?

If you really want to beat this then I'd suggest the more expensive route to crankfired ignition.

good luck
Erik

Posted: 08-08-2008 08:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
subwoofer

My distributor really needs some work now, either the springs are weak or the weights are sticking, because I get an awful amount of advance even at idle after revving a bit (still running Strombergs, but with vacuum retard plugged). I'll heed your advice and stay clear.

At the moment, I will just live with it till the winter at least, since I am having some issues with the authorities. They would only allow me to register it as a historic vehicle (i.e. no mods allowed) until I produce documentation that the stock vehicle satisfies the technical requirements in effect in Norway in 1974. Do you have any idea of where to get hold of those papers? Quite a few cars where sold in Germany, maybe the TüV did a type certification on it?

--

Joachim

Posted: 08-08-2008 09:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Harkes

what are the technical requirements for cars in Norway in 1974?
if you know these we can look for documentation

I think many of it can already be found in the Jensen Healey Manual, but otherwise there is a wealth of information here on the board

Posted: 08-08-2008 09:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Harkes

BTW why is your vacuum retard plugged? you are still running Strombergs...which means you need the vacuum retard. If you are running the dellorto's then you'd need to plug the vacuum retard.

Just forgot to say that on the http://www.jhps.com Greg sells fantastic reconditioned Lucas distributors for both strombergs and dellorto jensen healey's. So if you decide you need a new one, this might be an option for you

Posted: 08-08-2008 09:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
subwoofer

I'm trying to figure out that part for myself... :-)

Brake performance is the kicker. It has to be a declaration from the manufacturer or a test report from an independent laboratory (this would be where TüV fits in). It is likely to be the exact same requirements as the German ones from the same period, importing cars from mainland Europe is rarely a problem. My car came from the US, which just makes it that much more difficult.

I'm up against bureaucracy here...

Last edited on 08-08-2008 09:08 am by subwoofer

Posted: 08-08-2008 09:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Harkes

i see. It must have been done before one would say. i'll have a look around see if i can find anything.

Posted: 08-08-2008 09:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
subwoofer

Why I plugged the vacuum retard? It was already plugged when I got it, and I have been too busy plugging leaks elsewhere to start opening stuff up again... :-)

I'm not going to buy a new distributor at this time, I am planning to build somethink similar to your engine, but then I have to get through the red tape first. If I can't find a way through, I'll consider it.

Posted: 08-08-2008 09:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Harkes

that will be nice project. Hope you get through the red tape!! good luck 

Current time is 11:29 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 123ignition Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems