Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Hood Support Prop  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-11-2006 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
brino

I've seen a number of posts regarding repalcement of the hood support prop. I changed mine in my '74 JH recently very cheaply and am very happy with the result. I toured my local wreckers and opened hoods on various cars until I found a hood prop that suited me ( from a Ford Tempo, I believe ). I removed it & left the yard only $10 poorer. I drilled two small holes in the inner hood & Bingo I had a prop that allowed a generous 40" of hood lift. The existing hole in the front corner of the hood is perfect as the catch point for the support prop.It's cheap and works great!

Brian , Keswick, Ont, Canada JH 15757

Attachment: JH Hood Prop 003.jpg (Downloaded 152 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-14-2006 11:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
nvandal

Brian,

How does the prop rod attach to the inner fender, and where/how does it store whe the hood is down? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks, Norm vandal

Posted: 05-15-2006 12:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
brino

Hello Norm. I attached the support strut's existing bracket to the inner fender with self tapping sheet metal screws after drilling a couple of small pilot holes. The strut folds nicely along the front of the engine compartment resting on the upper rad hose flange and is stabilized simply with a Velcro strips on the hose clamp and the strut. It works fine and gives excellent access to the engine.

Brian

Posted: 05-28-2006 11:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
nvandal

Hello,

I've been meaning to thank you for your info on the hood prop. I thought about using a 1/4" rod end to attach the rod to the fender. This would allow for lots of movement so the rod could be placed where I'd want it. Seeing your setup gave me the idea. I'll bend my own rod to suit the anatomy of the car, mainly so I can attach it along the top of the radiator frame. I'll hold it down with a brake line clip.

Thanks,

Norm Vandal

Roxbury, VT

Current time is 08:20 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Hood Support Prop Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems