Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 2.2L engine & toyota supra 5 sp gbox have arrived

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2.2L engine & toyota supra 5 sp gbox have arrived  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-04-2005 10:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Harkes

The Shark's 2.2L engine and the toyota supra 5sp gbox have finally arrived!

i'll make some photos of the progress, engine & gbox this weekend and post them on the JHPPG for the onces interested.

my toyota 5sp gbox comes with Lotus Exel bellhousing and is the hydraulic clutch version. Initially i planned on converting to hydraulic clutch, however Garry Kemp who built the engine advised to convert the bellhousing to mechanical clutch.

A seamingly easy conversion that can save potentially a lot of bucks to all of you out there that are interested in the toyota supra 5sp gbox conversion as the majority of the savings can be achieved by using a used Exell bellhousing.

Then by using the 4 speed clutch fork, clutch cable, spring and bits, widening the gap in the Exel bellhousing where the slave cylinder is supposed to go, it should be possible. One would need to do some work on the bellhousing for fitting the clutch fork, but that is the only tricky bit.

All i need to purchase is: speedo cable, correct shifter tower bits and may be a cross-member but i'm thinking of fabricating this myself.

My engine has the light weight Lotus Esprit flywheel, which only accepts a larger clutch than the one offered by JHPS(8.5"); 9.5" The centre plate has to be machined slightly to fit.

Erik, Netherlands

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-04-2005 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Judson Manning

Erik,

Congrats on receiving your new toys...and a full 6 weeks before Christmas!  lol

I too have an Excel BH on my Supra 5sp, but haven't yet converted it to mechanical linkage.  Do share with us how you convert your BH.

Also, the JH T/O bearing won't fit the Supra Input shaft, are you using an Excel clutch and T/O bearing?

Did Garry supply you with graphical dyno results?

Judson

Posted: 11-07-2005 08:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Harkes

I will Judson. The Excel BH (hydraulic) conversion to mechanical/original clutch is going well and it is fairly easy. I still have to see how it will perform but it looks good.

I took the slave cylinder and Excel T/O bearing out, removed the small pivot. Note: you need this very same small pivot but place it on the other side of the Exel BH. This is THE trick. If you do this right, then conversion is a fact.

When we have measured correctly, you can use the original 4sp T/O bearing! i'll be using the original 4sp clutch fork and T/O bearing. You have to enlarge the opening where the clutch for has to go (on passenger side). The opening should be 9cm long.

Fit the bracket that holds the spring and job done!! Fit original clutch cable and adjust if necessary...

Since my engine has the Lotus Esprit flywheel i can not use the JHPS/Conversion Comp. 8.5" clutch cover nor plate. I'm using a larger 9.5 Lotus Esprit Clutch cover and a Toyota 9.5 clutch plate (last item has to machined slightly to fit inside the cover)

Really the best, easiest and above all cheapest 5sp conversion by far. All you need is a Lotus Exell BH, which you can get cheap. Gbox of course is hard to get by, esp the W58 which is what i have. The Lotus Exel only came with W58, so this is where people need to look.

Then besides clutch cover/plate, you only need a new speedo cable and an x-member, but i'm going to make this myself.

then the hardest part, which everyone will encounter when converting to toyota supra 50 sp gbox...the driveshaft modification.

I'll let you know how we are going to tackle this. When i'm correct the orignal driveshaft should become 16 cm longer than it is now.

If you have any suggestions than please tell.

i have the dyno sheets, i just haven't had the time to take pictures. The goodies where too much fun to play with over the weekend. It really felt like X-mas!! lol

cheers

erik

Current time is 11:41 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 2.2L engine & toyota supra 5 sp gbox have arrived Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems