View single post by Harkes
 Posted: 11-04-2005 10:49 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Harkes

The Shark's 2.2L engine and the toyota supra 5sp gbox have finally arrived!

i'll make some photos of the progress, engine & gbox this weekend and post them on the JHPPG for the onces interested.

my toyota 5sp gbox comes with Lotus Exel bellhousing and is the hydraulic clutch version. Initially i planned on converting to hydraulic clutch, however Garry Kemp who built the engine advised to convert the bellhousing to mechanical clutch.

A seamingly easy conversion that can save potentially a lot of bucks to all of you out there that are interested in the toyota supra 5sp gbox conversion as the majority of the savings can be achieved by using a used Exell bellhousing.

Then by using the 4 speed clutch fork, clutch cable, spring and bits, widening the gap in the Exel bellhousing where the slave cylinder is supposed to go, it should be possible. One would need to do some work on the bellhousing for fitting the clutch fork, but that is the only tricky bit.

All i need to purchase is: speedo cable, correct shifter tower bits and may be a cross-member but i'm thinking of fabricating this myself.

My engine has the light weight Lotus Esprit flywheel, which only accepts a larger clutch than the one offered by JHPS(8.5"); 9.5" The centre plate has to be machined slightly to fit.

Erik, Netherlands