Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Engine & Tranny Install  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-23-2023 05:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JH12947

I have the engine and tranny ready to back in the car.  Looks like the manual recommends installing the engine and tranny as separate units.  Should I
  • Install engine from above and then install tranny as a separate unit from below
  • Install engine and tranny as a unit from above
  • Drop the front subframe and lower the body onto the engine/tranny/subframe assembly
I have a gantry crane and 2 post lift so all are doable. I'd normally go the subframe route but don't really want to uninstall it and disconnect brake lines if it goes in easily from the top.
Also any insight into the best time to install the header and steering shaft would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Corey

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-23-2023 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

Finally got a 2 post lift, and like you, the subframe way to install if one uses the lift.
However, having for year done it with an engine hoist(not a gantry) jacking up the rear as high as possible in relation to the front is fairly easy, WITH the tm(4 0r 5 spd) attached.
Also, you can bend/adjust the pipes after the headers so they don't hit the transmission mounting bracket by attaching the bracket while it's still out is MUCH easier than after installation.
call/email/SKYPE if you wish.
bruce/RedRacer

Posted: 10-24-2023 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JH12947

Thanks Bruce. Sounds like the subframe route is the way to go. I'll take you up on your offer if I run into any issues.

Current time is 08:32 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Engine & Tranny Install Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems