Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
W55 Conversion  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-14-2023 04:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JensenHealey007

Hi all, I have a W55 gearbox and will be fitting it into my JH.

Question 1: The gearbox mounting in the W55 is in a very different place to the JH, how do you get around this?

Question 2: How much longer do you need to lengthen the Tail Shaft?

Question 3: The amazon rebuild kits for the W55, are they any good, is there a better one about?

Question 4: What type of nosecone do you need to replace?

Cheers

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-14-2023 07:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
vnavaret

Most of your questions have been answered in the past elsewhere in this forum. Use the search function.

I found an informative thread here: W55 Conversion

Vance

Posted: 08-18-2023 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dakota123

With respect to driveshaft length, attached is the drawing that member Jim Ketcham put together. Don’t know if it holds for a W55. When I did my W58 conversion I jacked the car from the diff housing (to load the suspension), centered the new tailshaft and yoke in the trans, and measured from the center of the U-joint yoke back to the diff input shaft flange face (per the drawing). It doesn’t need to be precise.

As noted elsewhere, even the 530 mm shift housing should be lengthened to ~540 mm so the shifter pops up in the correct location. mine is 530 mm and rather than having the shift fork and housing lengthened, I moved the engine back about 1/2 inch by re-drilling the engine mount holes. Perfect. Obviously check for interference with the steering shaft and other bits (1/2” was just fine in my case.)

Fwiw, a 2.2L, 14 lb steel flywheel and W58 is really great. I’m using a heavy-duty TR6 clutch cover (not able to locate what disk I ended up getting). Leaving the line is fine (looks like the W55 may be a bit better even given a shorter first gear) and, with a short shifter, upshifts are rev-matched without any thought or careful coordination at all. Tell you what, it is so satisfying.to drive.

Attachment: IMG_2023-8-18-133546.png (Downloaded 28 times)

Last edited on 08-18-2023 08:15 pm by Dakota123

Current time is 02:30 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > W55 Conversion Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems