View single post by Dakota123
 Posted: 08-18-2023 08:14 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dakota123

With respect to driveshaft length, attached is the drawing that member Jim Ketcham put together. Don’t know if it holds for a W55. When I did my W58 conversion I jacked the car from the diff housing (to load the suspension), centered the new tailshaft and yoke in the trans, and measured from the center of the U-joint yoke back to the diff input shaft flange face (per the drawing). It doesn’t need to be precise.

As noted elsewhere, even the 530 mm shift housing should be lengthened to ~540 mm so the shifter pops up in the correct location. mine is 530 mm and rather than having the shift fork and housing lengthened, I moved the engine back about 1/2 inch by re-drilling the engine mount holes. Perfect. Obviously check for interference with the steering shaft and other bits (1/2” was just fine in my case.)

Fwiw, a 2.2L, 14 lb steel flywheel and W58 is really great. I’m using a heavy-duty TR6 clutch cover (not able to locate what disk I ended up getting). Leaving the line is fine (looks like the W55 may be a bit better even given a shorter first gear) and, with a short shifter, upshifts are rev-matched without any thought or careful coordination at all. Tell you what, it is so satisfying.to drive.

Attachment: IMG_2023-8-18-133546.png (Downloaded 29 times)

Last edited on 08-18-2023 08:15 pm by Dakota123