New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Removal of wiring harness  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-25-2023 11:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Darth V8R

Lads

Trying to remove the wiring harness prior to paint. I tried pushing it in through the firewall so that I could remove it via the passenger compartment. No dice.

Then I tried pushing it into the engine compartment through the firewall. No luck there either, as it seemed I was going to tear it to pieces on the edges of sheet metal.

The harness has been sliced and dice by previous owners, and I will need to do extensive repairs on it to boot.

Just how do you get the darn thing out?

Vance

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-26-2023 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

It's been so long but I think you push the engine compartment potion into the passenger area. The difficult part was getting the metal plate through. Also I think I pushed parts of the harness through rather than the whole thing at once.

Art

Posted: 02-26-2023 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

Art is correct; you push the part in the engine bay into the interior(yes, you need to remove the metal plate for the fuse box). The trunk gets pushed as well into the interior.

Posted: 02-26-2023 07:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

Vance,

From your description that wiring harness doesn't sound like one I'd want to reuse. While it's out you might consider replacing it. I think Bruce has some used ones for sale and Delta has some NOS available however they are pricey.

I replaced my W/H a few years ago when it melted do to a short in the cigar lighter. I detailed my tribulations in the thread "Main Wiring Harness Replacement". You might find it interesting reading.

Posted: 02-26-2023 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Darth V8R

Yes, I saw that Auto Sparks electrics had new harnesses for sale, but at 500 L for the main harness, I will be trying to repair mine first. I have used their products on my Triumph TR6, and they are very good, but many of the small connectors are NLA, and you must swap over your old ones. Sadly, the old ones on my harness in some cases have literally crumbled into  kibbles, so I will need to come up with a workaround.

OK, the consensus is that it goes out through the passenger compartment, so I will try a bit harder to get it through.

The small harnesses from Auto Sparks (engine bay, seat belts, etc) are not horrible, but that main harness. Whew!

Thanks for the help!

Vance

Posted: 02-26-2023 09:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
redracer

Vance: I have plenty of good old used harnesses, mostly middle style and a few of the later ones. Please email me photos of what you have and what has "crumbled" and we can get you back on the road.
I use SKYPE(see my profile) which makes help much faster.
bruce/redracer

Posted: 02-27-2023 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

Vance,

If you choose to repair the W/H Moss sells the blue vinyl harness wrap tape for about ten bucks a roll.

When it comes to new a W/H $600+/- is about the going rate for most LBCs. When I did my Austin-Healey the W/H was around $650 from Moss who gets them from either Auto Sparks or British Wire.

I had the same problem with the connectors on my original W/H. Mostly the white nylon female connectors that crumbled if you tried to pull them apart. Since a lot of the original connectors are NLA I decided to go with the Delta option a NOS W/H in the original sealed plastic bag as shipped from the UK probably in the mid '70s.

It was something to behold in it's original package with all the labels and tags still in place. It was almost like having an original Star Wars action figure in it's unopened package. I hated opening it but I needed it to get the car back on the road.

It was like new with all correct connectors making the install a breeze. Of course all that originality is going to cost you 900 bucks!

Posted: 02-27-2023 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Darth V8R

Lads:

I finally got it out of the car. I was on the right track, but was afraid to apply much force on the fuse box. After your encouragement I pushed harder and the fuse box popped out of its plate and I was able to maneuver the harness out of the car.

I also checked, and Martin Robey carries the harness as well, and for slightly less than Auto Auto Sparks.

Bruce has kindly offered to supply me with a harness, so now I need to decide if my harness is worth repairing. So many decisions, so little time...

Vance

Current time is 09:13 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Removal of wiring harness Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems