Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jensen Healey Key  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-23-2019 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
tallyhoe

I looked at the car also and saw the rust on the door jam which is an odd place to have it. The hood has had repair as is typical for people who try to close it without releasing the hood support latch. The crumpled area above the support is the tell tale sign. I did not spend as much time looking it over as I should have but it looks like something else happened to the hood that I am sure ended up with more bondo in it. I liked the color combination and if your plan for it is a fun driver it is good enough after the mechanicals are tuned up. Having just stripped to bare metal and repainted w/ new interior, brakes/clutch on 13911 I have WAY too much experience. Brakes are a no brainer and easy, as are tires. It is always better to stop than go. Don't forget the rubber hoses. As I now start on my GT 30136 I also suggest finding a good therapist. We call this fun? It's an addiction and quite fulfilling when going down the road and nobody knows what the heck you are driving when you pass. A good exhaust note is always appealing. Jay

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-25-2019 01:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Rdinstel

Thanks for the input, Jay. The fact that very few people have ever heard of a Jensen Healey, makes it appealing to me.
Ray

Posted: 11-27-2019 06:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Esprit2

Hey, FRANK SCHWARTZ, I know you're not in Virginia, but you're a lot closer than I am, here in Minnesota. Ray is in Lynchburg, VA... do you know of a Britcar shop reasonably close to him? One that could handle a J-H (brakes & suspension bushings... total rebuild) and the 907 engine.

Anyone?

Regards,
Tim Engel

Posted: 11-28-2019 01:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Frank Schwartz

Hello, Tim. Good to hear from you. I don't know of any shop in that area ...but here in the middle of Tennessee, I am not aware even of any shops in that area. Although George Phelps who does the K&D (on the Internet) over in Baltimore. and only does Interceptors, you might ask him and he may know. Or I can go on the Jensen group that post on the Internet and ask....
You can reach me off this list at mfsjr2@comcast.net

Best regards,
Frank

Posted: 05-05-2020 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
nrb993

Hi Ray or Tim,

Please as news or pictures of this new buy.

I read everything but no news and it is now May

kind regards

Neil from England

Posted: 05-05-2020 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Rdinstel

Neil, the car now has new tires and brakes. Tim is helping me get the engine up to snuff.
Then I need to get the car to Virginia.
I don’t have any recent pictures, will post when I get the car here.
Ray

Posted: 05-06-2020 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Esprit2

The car is now in my Lotus-friend, Dave's building in St Paul. Ray has not had success finding a shop near him in Virginia that was willing to, or capable of working on the 907 engine, so I had previously told him I'd bring some of the maintenance items up to date before the car went to Virginia. But that was before this Covid-19 mess, and I'm taking Minnesota's "Stay Home" order seriously.

In the meantime, Dave is a Lotus guy and knows the engine. And he's kind of a 'dog with a bone' about projects. He couldn't just walk by the J-H without popping the hood and taking a look.

The Dellortos were tuned by someone who didn't know what they were doing... and they're correct now. The Idle Jets might be a step or two rich, but they run well as is. Gas mileage just might not be all it could be.

The ignition timing was set wrong (not enough static advance), and more importantly, the vacuum retard capsule was connected to a manifold vacuum source instead of ported vacuum on a carburetor... so 'full time' retard. Vac retard is an emissions thing you don't need or necessarily want, so the hose was removed and the ports plugged... that really woke the engine up.

The black timing belt was way too tight... stupid tight! That has been corrected, however the black belts have to be replaced on a rather short time interval, considering that Ray hasn't found a shop that can do it for him. So he's agreed to replace the black belt with a Gates Racing Blue belt, which has a 'years' longer change interval. That will give him more trouble free drive time before has to find a shop to work on the car. The ordered blue belt arrived yesterday.

The cams are stock, and pulleys are still installed for emissions timing. When the new belt is installed, the pulleys will be re-timed for best performance... 110 Int / 110 Exh.

Last night Dave noticed the fluid level in the brake reservoir was low. Further inspection showed that it was leaking. That was about 11:00PM, and he was trying to get out of there and go home... so the rest of that tale is yet to be told.

The suspension bushings are old and dried out, but all there. However, the car has aftermarket front & rear anti-roll bars. The rear is fully connected, but the rubber bushings were totally missing from the front drop-link. Almost as if someone wanted to disconnect it without fully removing it. The drop link looked like off-the-shelf Energy Suspension bits, so Dave ran to O'Reilly Auto Parts and picked up new bushings. Perfect fit. Installing them took care of a previous vague wander feeling at the front.

The engine has an occassional mis-fire, stutter at low speeds/ throttle changes, and the tach needle jumps around when that happens. It's equipped with an electronic ignition system, and I suspect the amplifier inside the distributor, or the wiring to it may have a problem. But early Pertronix Ignitors had a history of such issues, and the fix was replacement. No specific diagnosis/ plan yet, just making note of something else on the list.

An autocrosser owned the car in the past, and much of the tuning is for performance and handling, not low-end torque and driveability, and not for a comfortable ride. There are adjustable SPAX shocks that were set hard, the anti-roll bars, and the Dellortos. Autocrosser stuff, and it works well for what it is.

Dave has adjusted the SPAX shocks for a softer ride. Firm, but softer than it was. The front end should really have an alignment.

While the stock Dellortos had 40 throats and 35 chokes, and while many J-H owners swap in smaller 33 or 32 chokes, these Dellortos are 45 throats with 37 chokes. They're go-fast carbs, not cruise comfortably carbs. Dave & I would love 'em. And now that they're tuned properly, and Dave has test driven the car, he really likes how the engine pulls with them.

There's no fix for 'size' other to replace them with a set of smaller "J-H" DHLA40 carbs ($$). I'm not making a judgement (actually, I'd prefer the bigger carbs), I'm just making note of what is. With the cams properly timed (not emissions timed), added ignition advance, and tuned carbs, it pulls well for a 2.0 Liter.

That's where it stands for now. Fixing the brake leak is first on the list, then installing the blue timing belt/ re-timing the cams. I've suggested ordering a set of 35 Idle Jets to replace the current 38's. But jetting changes are a 'try it and see' proposition, and 35's may turn out to be too lean, and a waste of money... go back to the 38s, or something in between.

All the above is Dave's work, because me and my lifetime problematic lungs are taking Covid-19 seriously, and I've not yet ventured over to the shop. Dave's effort is not bad for a guy who didn't have a horse in this race; he just couldn't stand to walk by the car without opening the bonnet.

The valve clearances are tight, and one of the things I'd volunteered to do was re-shim them. Dave says I can have that job, he'd prefer not to mess with it. So, I'm sorry to say, it will probably be the end of May before Minnesota fully lifts the Covid-19 restrictions. Patience.

Regards,
Tim Engel

PS... Dave's starting to like that car... he may not want to let it go.

Last edited on 05-07-2020 02:33 am by Esprit2

Posted: 05-06-2020 06:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
noomg

I wonder whatever happened to the keyless Jensen-Healey, I hope somebody bought it. There are too few J-Hs on the road as it is, I'd hate to lose one to the crusher or parted out for something as simple as a missing ignition key.

Posted: 05-06-2020 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
nrb993

Ray,

I bet your really looking forward to you JH now after so much care. I had all of my bushes replaced before anything done and also new shocks and new brake callipers and rear brake slave cylinders plus new master cylinder and then I found out I had massive internal rust so I did not see my JH for 2 years, but now I have a great running car which looks really bad so Covid work from home is allowing me now to restore the body.

i wish you well and please share photos as this tale is really interesting

Well done Tim for looking after a JH as yes we are a special group of owners.

cheers Neil

Posted: 05-07-2020 09:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Rdinstel

I am really looking forward to the car, my wife even more. Amy loves performance sports cars and from what Tim says, we have one.
I can’t thank Tim and Dave enough for their help.
As for the black Jensen, I felt really bad for the widow who was trying to sell her deceased husband’s cars and bought a second Jensen Healey.
It’s a five speed and has many issues, including being very hard to start.
I am not sure I will keep me black car as the one Tim found is much nicer.
Ray

Posted: 05-09-2020 04:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
noomg

Ray,

I'm a bit confused by your latest post. Is the black car also the key less car? And did you buy that car?

Posted: 05-09-2020 05:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Rdinstel

Yes, the black car is the keyless car. I got key made.
Yes, I bought it, but sure I will keep it.

Posted: 05-10-2020 04:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
noomg

Be careful Ray, these things just seem to follow you home!

Posted: 05-10-2020 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
nrb993

yes, i have jh2, jh5 and gt but no idea how it happened

Posted: 05-11-2020 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
noomg

nrb993,

That's a lot of Jensen-Healeys. You know they made other Brit sportscars too, right?

Current time is 04:31 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Jensen Healey Key Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems