Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Main Wiring Harness Replacement

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Main Wiring Harness Replacement  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-08-2019 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
noomg

Thought I'd start a new thread since I've really gotten beyond bodywork and paint on this project. I fried the harness when the cigar lighter shorted out. Normally it would have just blown a fuse but unfortunately the PO had installed a 30 amp AGC fuse instead of the Brit fuse which is equal to about 17 amp.

After fooling around for a couple of weeks I realized the only way to get at the old harness is to completely disassemble the dash and the console. So now I've got everything out to the firewall. Now I can clearly see the beast staring back at me. Next step is to start labeling and dis connecting the old harness, the adventure(nightmare)continues.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-08-2019 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

Oh, just an FYI for guys doing restoration reassembly in this area. Install windshield first then the dash. I did the dash first because I thought dash access would be better without the windshield in place. I was right but it made windshield installation extremely difficult and there's a risk of cracking the windshield.

Posted: 10-13-2019 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

The harness replacement continues. As with any big project time has to be taken to address some side issues. In this case some cleanup, touchup painting, and replacing some rusty hardware with stainless steel. I've laid out and labeled the new harness which gives me a good idea of how it goes in and what goes where. I'm starting with the passenger side door, disconnecting the old replacing it with it the new and working my way to the center console.

Posted: 10-13-2019 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

One interesting thing that's coming out of this project is as I'm pulling out the old harness I'm discovering where some of these mysterious harness leads which disappear into the body go and what they're connected too. Of course there are some leads whose function remains unknown.

Something I learned, the flat seat switches that were part of the original seatbelt interlock system, is that there was one for each seat rather than just for the passenger seat as I thought. At some point, someone(possibly the original owner)clipped the leads and removed the switch. I'm just curious, does anybody still have a functioning seatbelt interlock system?

Current time is 02:06 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Main Wiring Harness Replacement Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems