Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Lockheed Self Adjusters and Handbrake Function

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lockheed Self Adjusters and Handbrake Function  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-23-2016 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
NigelK

Dear Forum Users

The handbrake on my GT has never worked very well, even with the clevis on the handbrake cable adjusted to its tightest setting. I did some research online, particularly on TR7/TR8 forums (as these cars share the same Lockheed drum brakes), and it seems in many cases poor handbrake function is actually caused by a problem with the brake shoe self-adjusters, which, er, don't...

There are a number of steps to making the self-adjusters work properly.

Firstly, they need to be installed correctly. Figure F4 in the J-H WSM is completely wrong - the self adjuster pins should be inserted from inside to outside, such that the pin flange is on the inside face of the brake shoe web. The two self adjuster levers also sit on the inside face of the shoe web, with a small shim washer between the self adjuster lever and the brake shoe web. The upper lever also has a spring between the adjuster pin flange and the lever itself. On the other side of the brake shoe web i.e. the outer side, a thicker washer should be placed over the upper adjuster pin, and then a circlip. The lower adjuster pin only has a circlip.

Secondly, the mating surfaces of the self adjuster levers and the brake shoe web should be rubbed down so they're completely smooth, and lubricated with high temperature grease. Check that both levers move smoothly across the face of the brake shoe web before reinstalling the brake shoe.

Thirdly, make sure the serrated teeth on each self adjuster lever are free of rust, I used a wirebrush. If they are worn, it may be necessary to gently sharpen each serration with a hacksaw blade. I didn't have to do this. Apparently, the geometry of the teeth is such that the lower adjuster lever can only adjust in one direction, so you may need to use a magnifying glass to make sure you're sharpening the teeth correctly.

Fourthly, disconnect the handbrake clevises on both sides before installing the brake shoes and checking the brake shoe adjustment. Pulling up the handbrake 4-5 times does NOT adjust the self adjusters, as is stated in the Haynes Vauxhall Magnum workshop manual (and repeated elsewhere). Connecting the handbrake actually stops the self adjusters working during the brake set up procedure. Pushing hard on the brake pedal, with the handbrake clevises disconnected, is what makes the self adjusters adjust. If everything has been assembled correctly, and the self adjuster levers can move freely, you should be able to hear the self adjusters click when you depress the brake pedal. If this doesn't work, the self adjusters can sometimes be persuaded to adjust by reversing quickly, and stamping on the brakes. But if you do this, of course, you won't be able to hear the self adjusters adjust.

Finally, once the self adjusters have adjusted you can reattach the handbrake clevises and adjust the left hand clevis so that the handbrake functions properly.

Using the above steps, I now have a working handbrake. It only took me 2 months to work it out...

I hope this is helpful for others having the same issues that I did.

Best wishes,
Nige

Last edited on 08-15-2017 07:43 pm by NigelK

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-31-2016 09:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
NigelK

Bump. Photos added

Posted: 10-30-2016 01:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Bfitz241

Thanks Nigel. Just did the rear brakes, this was a big help.
If I may, I'd like to add that if the wheel cylinders are frozen the adjuster will not back off. I'm sure you've figured out how I know that.

Last edited on 11-25-2016 01:39 pm by Bfitz241

Posted: 03-11-2017 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
NigelK

Despite the self-adjusters working properly, I have not been able to get my handbrake to work since the LSD axle was installed. What happens is that the handbrake lever pulls away (moves inboard) from the web of the leading shoe on the left hand rear wheel when I use the brakes. Or the shoe moves outboard from the lever. Either way, the notch on the handbrake lever is no longer engaged with the leading shoe so when I activate the handbrake, the lever moves forward but the notch in the lever does not engage with the leading shoe web, so the shoe is not pressed into the drum which means the handbrake cannot function.

The handbrake works fine until I drive the car and use the brakes, then it stops working. It would seem that when the wheel cylinder pushes the shoes against the drum, something is not aligned properly so the shoe web does not re-engage with the notch on the handbrake lever when the brake pedal is released and the shoes return to "home" position.

I am going to replace the handbrake levers (assuming I can find some), as maybe the notches in the existing levers are too worn. And also replace the pull-off springs, steady pins and springs, the wheel cylinders and circlips. Maybe that will stop the leading shoe moving relative to the handbrake lever. Anybody got any other ideas?

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 03-17-2017 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
NigelK

Sorted. Today I replaced all the moving parts plus the wheel cylinders and the handbrake now works properly. I think the key issue was a distorted circlip, which was not holding one wheel cylinder securely to the backing plate, so when the brakes were applied the cylinder was pushing the shoe away from the backing plate, disengaging it from the handbrake lever. Fingers crossed that the handbrake keeps working!

Posted: 01-16-2018 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bob 13902

Trying to find set (both wheels) of upper self adjusters & springs for Lockheed rear brakes - anybody have a source or spares? Below is pic of what I need:

Attachment: Lockheed-brake_Self-Adj.png (Downloaded 144 times)

Posted: 01-16-2018 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
NigelK

Hi Bob

These are Triumph TR7 parts. I think the part numbers for a self-adjuster kit are either AAU8992 or AAU8994.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 01-16-2018 07:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bob 13902

Thanks Nigel - it appears to be the AAU8994, however the only kits I can find so far are on ebay and extremely pricey (>$100). Hoping I'll get lucky and find some used ones for a reasonable cost!

Posted: 01-16-2018 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
redracer

I've got plenty of used parts for brakes, among other things

Posted: 08-30-2020 09:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Elanplus2

Happy Sunday. Bruce... I sent you an email, but to the rest of the group - my '74 appears to be missing pieces 12-18 on the JHPS parts chart. Is there any chance someone has them available? Thanks in advance! Aaron

Posted: 08-30-2020 09:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Elanplus2

This is the schematic referred to in my previous post...

Attachment: Lockheed Brake Schematic_resize.jpg (Downloaded 81 times)

Posted: 08-31-2020 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
redracer

yes--I have plenty of that USED in very good condition.
persona; email:
RedRacerbm@gmail.com
If you want to talk. 404-261-2552

Posted: 08-31-2020 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
noomg

Bruce, I'm always amazed at the variety of parts you can come up with, what do you have, a Jensen-Healey graveyard out behind your house?

Posted: 08-31-2020 05:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
redracer

basically(but inside, not outside). Got my 1st J-H('74 3/4, carmine with tan interior) in 1976, when I was back at Georgia Tech(still have and drive it--been across U.S/ twice now, not to mention Canada & other shorter trips). My 2nd was a mustard '74, that I bought from one of my business partners(duplicate slides, photo) and that one has 3 National autocrossing trophies. Then started buying, up to 26 cars plus old dealerships, one in Oklahoma City and another in Lexington, KY.
Most have been stripped for parts and stored in my upper garage space--reasonably well organized.
Someone who had more was the late Gene Reddick in Oregon, and Hank Leach bought most of his stuff and then Hank sold it to ??someone in Texas??(not totally sure about that)

Current time is 01:31 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Lockheed Self Adjusters and Handbrake Function Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems