Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lubrication Protection  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-05-2016 02:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Randallclary@icloud.com

I have recently installed my rebuild engine with a 2.2 L stroker crank and 10.5:1 pistons with Dellorto 45's. Has anyone put one of these Accusump units in their car. It sounds like a fairly inexpensive way to provide pre-lubrication to the engine prior to starting up and providing increased reliability for the Lotus 907 engine. I'm not sure what kit to order. I went on the Summit Racing web site and am thinking of going with the 2 Qt accumulator and an electric operated solenoid kit, but not sure of the pressure range to choose. Any help here would be appreciated.

The reason is I being cautious is that the oil pressure gauge takes a little time to show positive pressure and it holds around 50 psi after several seconds. It might be the oil pressure line that I use. The other reason is that I have so much time and $ invested in this engine that I don't want to take any chances of a lube failure.

I got a new oil pressure with a SS hose from the Sunbeam Tiger Club here in So CA. The hose seems to have a smaller ID than the plastic line what was on the JH originally. I would also appreciate any comments here.

Last edited on 01-05-2016 02:57 am by Randallclary@icloud.com

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-05-2016 06:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

I know a lot of people swear by the Accusump system as a sort of "poor man's dry sump", but personally I am a bit weary. Fair enough that you pre-charge it so you have oil pressure at cranking, but in order to do so you have to have oil pressure to charge it with before you shut down. Anything above 15psi at idle when warm is IMHO an indication your oil is too thick and you lose cooling and lubrication when you need it. Same with constant oil pressure readings - the oil is going through the pressure relief valve rather than through the bearings.

If you have a sound oil pressure in a sound engine, the accusump will bleed down to idle pressure and then steal oil from the bearings to recharge when you hit the loud pedal. This is not my idea of how it should work.

--
Joachim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 11:55 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Lubrication Protection Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems