Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oil Cooler hoses  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-25-2015 04:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bfitz241

Just curious- is there a recommended service life on the oil cooler hoses? Do they break down internally or just hang in there.  Mine don't leak, but since the front of the engine's apart, you know how that goes.
Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-25-2015 07:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

Are yours the originals? If so they are what, 40+ years old?? I'd recommend replacing them...you can get new ones like the originals but for a bit more you can get steel braided covered ones...

After 40 years they can get brittle and burst when you least expect it...

Go for new ones...

Frank

Posted: 10-25-2015 03:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Ditto what Frank say's, you don't want to blow your engine because of some old rubber hose fails.

Posted: 10-25-2015 05:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bfitz241

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....I don't like the sound of this. Do these things generally back out or [with my luck] am I about to ruin the front case of the engine? All I can imagine is British aluminum welding to the hose fitting. That would be very bad.

Posted: 10-26-2015 06:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
subwoofer

What I did (and what I think you should do) was to throw out the old cooler, hoses and sandwich plate and replace the lot.

The oil cooler is the same size as a Setrab 13 row cooler. The original sandwich plate should be replaced with one with a thermostat in it, brings the oil up to temp quicker and makes sure the oil isn't over cooled, Mocal makes these and they are not really expensive. Easily drilled and tapped for an oil temp sender too.

Any local hydraulics service shop can make the hoses for you, make sure you buy loose 45° elbows for the sandwich plate side, otherwise you risk having to twist the hoses to make them line up with cooler and sandwich plate. Not easy to do and not good for the hose. But it does add to the cost, fittings are the most expensive part of the whole setup.

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-26-2015 07:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Bfitz241

thanks for the tip. Just out of curiosity, what's the ID of the hoses? It's my understanding that the fittings are 5/8 BSP, and I was having difficulty translating that to NPT or AN sizes.

Anything special about that sandwich plate? Can I get one from Jegs or Summit or is it a Europe only kind of part?

I agree with your position on a thermostat, oil needs to be at the proper temp, or it just becomes hard to pump.

Posted: 10-26-2015 09:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
subwoofer

First google hit on "Mocal sandwich plate": http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Mocal_Sandwich_Plate

Same place has both Mocal and Setrab oil coolers:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Mocal_Oil_Coolers2

Can't remember the ID of the hoses off the top of my head, just chose a dimension with a similar OD to the OEM hoses. As far as threads go, since I had new hoses made I just brought the mating parts and told them to put whatever was required on them...

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-27-2015 06:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
subwoofer

Bfitz241 wrote:
It's my understanding that the fittings are 5/8 BSP, and I was having difficulty translating that to NPT or AN sizes.

This just caught my eye.

There is no translation of threads from one system to another. BSP (British Standard Pipe thread) is not compatible with NPT (National Pipe Thread) is not compatible with AN (Army / Navy thread) is not compatible with... There is a myriad of threads out there, and for each connection you have to find the correct parts. It is not possible to mix and match, even if you were able to get the parts to mate the connection would leak.

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-27-2015 07:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
gmgiltd

Hi Joachim, Could be wrong here but it would seem that the only problem with the integrated oilstat is that it does not permit the use of a remote oil filter. The remote and integrated adaptors are also available from Merlin motorsport
Gordon

Posted: 10-27-2015 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Bfitz241

subwoofer wrote: Bfitz241 wrote:
It's my understanding that the fittings are 5/8 BSP, and I was having difficulty translating that to NPT or AN sizes.

This just caught my eye.

There is no translation of threads from one system to another. BSP (British Standard Pipe thread) is not compatible with NPT (National Pipe Thread) is not compatible with AN (Army / Navy thread) is not compatible with... There is a myriad of threads out there, and for each connection you have to find the correct parts. It is not possible to mix and match, even if you were able to get the parts to mate the connection would leak.

--
Joachim
I should have been more clear, I'm having trouble finding comparable internal diameter fittings in NPT or AN. I was hoping to be able to use a generic oil cooler with AN or NPT fittings, while having hoses configured with the appropriate fitting to the sandwich plate, which I believe would be BSP in the case of the JH original or the Mocal replacement.

Your observation is, undeniably, completely correct.

Posted: 10-28-2015 07:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
subwoofer

NPT is not inherently leak free, it ordinarily requires some form of tape or goop to form a good seal and there is plenty of opportunity to mess up by over-torquing. Stay with cylindrical threads if you don't have a very good reason to use conical threads.

Any hydraulics shop should have all the bits you need on the shelf, so just buy a sandwich with thermostat, a fresh oil cooler and bring the parts to them for them to decide on dimensions and fittings.

Gordon's comments on the remote oil filter may apply to your choice of parts, personally I can live with the default filter placement. A slight bit messy when changing filter but in terms of accessibility it is almost OK. I have seen worse.

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-29-2015 09:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Bfitz241

I'll just googled the ID of 5/8 BSP and go from there.
I see no need for a remote filter on this car. As I understand it, the oiling system has enough problems without adding them on.

Anyone have the name of a hydraulic hose supplier near St Augustine that they would be happy to recommend?

Last edited on 10-29-2015 09:51 pm by Bfitz241

Current time is 09:25 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil Cooler hoses Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems