New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
head rests  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-04-2014 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Koehler

Headrests.
Moving the [highlight= #ffff88]headrest takes some effort, or, if things are badly rusted, brute force.  The [highlight= #ffff88]headrest is normally held in position by a roller thing in the seat back, using a springy wire center, that presses against the wider face of the shaft.  The bottom end of the shaft has a thin sheet metal D-shaped spring that protrudes from the side and which is supposed to keep the [highlight= #ffff88]headrest from being pulled all the way out.

I have consulted the above description for removing the head-rests and am still in a fog as to how to remove them. Is there something to press,pull,nudge that I am missing, or is it just a matter of brute force as Mark has suggested, to remove the head-rests? 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-06-2014 03:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tom Bradley

Judging from the description, the headrests cannot be removed unless the D-shaped spring is removed. Or possibly if you pull hard enough to break it. My guess is that the head rests were not intended to be removed unless the seat covers were removed first.

Posted: 04-06-2014 11:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Paul Koehler

I ended up using the following method to remove headrest - after removing seat from vehicle and placing on a sawhorse or other such device to isolate the headrest, insert hand from the bottom of the back of seat until you can feel the tube in which the headrest glides. Find a long narrow steel piece ( 1/8"x3/4"x3Ft) and slide it into the tube and using a hammer, tap out the headrest. You be the judge of the force applied with the hammer. One of my headrest had a thin metal springee type thing in the bottom of the headrest tube with a detent buttom, but pushing it in no way eased the removal. The metal rod  came off an old garage door locking mechanism. Never throw STUFF away!

Current time is 08:51 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > head rests Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems