Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > valve cover gasket replacement - tips for success

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
valve cover gasket replacement - tips for success  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-04-2013 09:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JHDSL

Does anyone have any first had knoweledge that they would like to share? Many Thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-05-2013 03:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

Don't know what kind of gasket you are using, but I usually get four dowels the same size as the holes the bolts that hold the cover are. Then I can slide the cover down exactly in place without the thing shifting the gasket and all that. Once in place, then I can put the long bolts in place and removing the dowels one at a time until all bolts are in place. That way things don't shift about....

Posted: 03-05-2013 11:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
subwoofer

With the rubber gaskets from the club store I have had no problems at all. Simply place them over the cam carrier, thread in the bolts and tighten evenly. The gaskets may shift slightly, but as long as you can see them all the way around the circumference you should be OK. No leaks at all and done in two minutes.

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-05-2013 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan (Florida)

I've tried several ways with moderate success.  Currently using gasket cork  glued to the cover  using a non hardening sealer  and about 50 spring clothes pins per cover until the sealer sets. I think the maintenance manual says to apply sealer to one side only so I seal to the cover. once set I trim the excess cork off of the inside of the cover to keep the oil from building up  behind the cork.  The cover will rotate around the ends as it tightens down so I tighten the bottom screws first to make sure the lower edge of the cover seals best before tightening the upper screws.  I tried the rubber seals but they tend to slide if you use any sealing compound.  It still isn't perfect but I dont leave as many blue clouds as I use to.

hth Dan

Posted: 03-05-2013 02:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I apply the silicone gaskets dry after cleaning the mating surfaces with acetone. It takes longer to remove the pool of oil and clean everything than to install the cam covers.

Current time is 02:52 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > valve cover gasket replacement - tips for success Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems