Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
GT rear seat belts  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-06-2012 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
chrisl

Having some fun (not) with getting the GT registered for road use. One of the sticking points is a requirement to have seat belts installed in the back. It all relates to the local Design Rules that applied in 1976 when the car was manufactured.

I’ve put in lap belts where the existing bolt holes in the floor pan are, but there is some doubt about if this will be adequate and that three point anchorage and inertia reel type belts might be needed. The Design Rules are as clear as mud to me but as always it's easier to just comply than battle the bureaucracy...

Does anyone have seat belts in the rear? If so, if using a three point anchor can you send me a photo of how/where the 'upper' mounting point is??

Am tempted to just take the rear seat out altogether and just get it licensed to carry two passengers only.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-06-2012 04:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

Good idea....if you wan to carry four people, you need two adults up front and two very small children in the back.  Just keep the rear seats folded down and register it to carry two people...99 times out a 100 that is all you would do anyway.

Posted: 10-08-2012 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
George

Mine are just lap belts.  Even my kid won't go back there!

Posted: 10-09-2012 05:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
gmgiltd

My GT does not have rear seat belts - in the UK if they were not fitted as OE then there is no requirement. It's a 2+2 anyway - 2 adults and 2 adult hamsters .

Posted: 10-12-2012 06:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
chrisl

OK, if you are ever required to do this, the answer is to install lap sash belts. Simple lap belts don't cut the mustard (down 'ere anyway).

There are anchor points for inertia reels on the floor pan in the rear cargo area, behind the seat that are hidden under two removable floor covers. They can't though be fitted without modifying the fuel tank. Not a good design but understandable for 1976 ... and not necessary anyway.

There are two additional anchor points on the roof where the top of the sash belt is attached to. These are hidden behind the panels that the interior lights are fitted to. They are easy to remove/replace. So that's what I've done.

Actually quite a neat way of being able to safely carry two more passengers - providing they are children (and don't need a booster or child seat....), jockeys, midgets or dwarves.... Perfect.

I'd post a picture but can't even figure out fotobucket so PM me if you want one!

Current time is 10:56 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > GT rear seat belts Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems