Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stromberg Gas Leak  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-16-2011 04:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jay

I noticed gas dripping from what looke like a plug in the bottom of the front carburetor bowl. At first look it appeared that the plug is made of a type of plastic (I'm not sure). I have not yet attempted to take it out. Can anyone tell me what is the best approach to remove it. I believe that I have read that there is an o-ring in there. Do you think an o-ring replacement is all that is required? I don't seem to have any basic problems with the running characteristics of the engine so I am not wanting to venture into any carburator rebuild. Are the parts thet I would need available without the need to purchase an entire rebuild kit? How do I go about fixing this leak?

Thanks for any and all help that can be provided.

Jay

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-16-2011 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

Whatever you do: DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR until the leak is fixed! We don't need another statistic! If fuel is allowed to reach the distributor - nicely placed just below the carbs - a fire is guaranteed.

The plug is just that, a plug - held in place by an O-ring. Just pull it straight down, replace the O-ring with a new one of good quality and push it back up. Job done. The O-ring should be available at any hardware or industrial supply store.

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-16-2011 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jay

So there is no turning involved other than trying to loosen the fit of the o-ring? There are no threads?

Posted: 05-16-2011 09:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ron Mau

Correct . No threads it is just a push fit. It has 2 ears/ tabs on the plug that hold it in place. Pull down and it should pop out. Replace the o ring and you are good to go.

Ron Mau

Posted: 05-17-2011 01:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Dont use a Buna O-ring you need a gas compatable material, Nitrile is a good choice, you can probably buy just the o-ring from any number of on-line british parts places and while your at it get two and do the other carb it's probably the same age as the one leaking.

Brett

Posted: 05-20-2011 05:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jay

I replaced both of the O-Rings with 5/8" ID x 13/16 OD standard O-Rings from a local NAPA store. The material was listed as Nitrile. I found the following information on a website and it would appear that this material would be okay for this application. Apparently Buna N would be okay (Petroleum Products). Any other thoughts on the Buna material? Should I find another replacement? Is the Nitrile (Buna N) is okay?

For those who may wonder what the plug looks like, I have included a photo of it.

The plugs pull right out. Maybe a little too easily but I guess that may be just an indicator that their sealing ability may have been depleated. The old O-Rings seened to be a bit soft.

Thanks for the help.

Nitrile (NBR or Buna N)

Due to it’s ability to be compounded for service over a temperature range of -65°F to +275°F, and it’s excellent resistance to petroleum products, Nitrile is the most widely used elastomer. Nitrile o-ring compounds can exhibit excellent compression set resistance, tear resistance, and abrasion resistance.

These compounds do not exhibit good resistance to ozone, sunlight or weather.

Attachment: PICT2197(1).JPG (Downloaded 68 times)

Posted: 06-07-2012 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
sjensen24

I just went through the same drill.  The plug in my carb has 4 tabs (stromberg manual indicates there should be 4).  I could not push in all 4 at once and push the plug out until I invented and fabricated a tool out of light gage sheet metal.  photo attached.

Attachment: JH brakes and carb tool 023.jpg (Downloaded 153 times)

Posted: 02-25-2013 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
igdboss

Mine was gushing fuel. In the process of removing the plug the tabs broke off. Any suggestions for where to procure a replacement?

Posted: 05-19-2013 07:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Frank Schwartz

Yes...try Delta Motorsports for the O ring and also for a replacement plug...that should do it...

Current time is 11:25 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Stromberg Gas Leak Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems