Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Soft top up and down  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-17-2011 07:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Brucesnows

Seems like I lower the top differently each time and not sure if I am doing it correctly.

Does someone have any print material from owners manual or something that states the proper sequence of lowering the top so that the rear window is not damaged and the boot goes on easily.

I know it is not a push button system, but I have owned MGB and Sptfires without problems.

Thanks,

Bruce

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-17-2011 11:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

Following is from the owners manual: "Unfasten the seven press studs and detach the velcro held side panels at the rear of the soft top. Lower the sun visors to gain access to the catch levers which secure the header rail to teh windscreen header rail. Pull the levers through and arc of 145 degrees to release the soft top header rail. Push the header rail rearwards and upwardsd so that the frame hinges(which are on both sides of the frame about 18 inches back from the catch levers) and sufficiently to enable the rail, in the rear edge of the soft top to be moved rearwards out of the two retainers. Lower the frame into the back of the car taking care to avoid trapping the fabric in the frame. Position the rail down between the frame and the back of the car and pull out th edouble layer thus formed to straighten the fabric. Neatly fold the side panels inwards over the Vybak backlight(rear inndow) the foll the fabric and backlight to finally tuck down neatly over the  rail.

Best of Luck

Posted: 04-18-2011 12:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brucesnows

Thanks for that info

Posted: 04-18-2011 02:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I have a heavy ill fitting canvas top from an Ebay seller and just fold the layers into the frame as it's lowered. I find my rear rail very difficult to get into the clips so it stays in place. 

It still takes several minutes to raise the top. It protrudes above the deck and the boot cover can't be used in this position but it's somewhat functional.

I knew a guy who set-up his front rail so it could be removed from the rest of the frame. He stowed the top in the trunk and covered the frame with a boot cover.

Kurt

Posted: 04-18-2011 04:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dwalls1

I have a canvas top that is bulkier than the original vinyl one, but am able to get it under the top cover by extending it out over the rear deck and rolling it up around the rear rail and stuffing it in on the header. I found this worked well with the original top as well, though it's probably not the best way to treat the rear window.

Posted: 04-21-2011 12:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jim Ketcham

The header rail is attached to the top frame by only two 1/4x28 nuts.  I replaced these nuts with wing nuts so I can quickly remove the top with the rail and put it in the trunk supposedly for less wear and tear.

Jim

Posted: 04-21-2011 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Bruce, I'm one of the lay it on the trunk, tuck the side flaps in and roll it up, some people lay a towel over the window while doing this. Only issue I find is the flat anchor bar at the base of the top does'nt want to always cooperate.

Brett

Posted: 10-10-2016 10:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
qwerty

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote: Bruce, I'm one of the lay it on the trunk, tuck the side flaps in and roll it up, some people lay a towel over the window while doing this. Only issue I find is the flat anchor bar at the base of the top does'nt want to always cooperate.

Brett

Thanks for roll up method, tried to put it away neatly a few times and this did the trick for me. I agree the anchor bar is a problen but with a little non memory bend you can tuck it under the frame and get it in. Cover boot goes on easily and i'm now able to engage the clips of the cover.

Attachment: Soft top rolled.JPG (Downloaded 107 times)

Current time is 03:12 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Soft top up and down Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems