Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
32 valve J.H. V8  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-27-2008 02:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
edward_davis

Hypothetically, if the heads did line up, etc., couldn't you solve the timing problem by going with a 180 degree crank for the V8?  They use them in racing, but not on the street because, as I understand, they create too much vibration.  But that wouldn't be a problem for a crazy hot rod engine, would it. 

With the 180 degree crank, you'd have the timing for each side the same as for a single 907, but you'd have to offset the banks for the engine's V-angle.

Just a thought...

Of course, it might be easier to just get a shop to CNC "Jensen Healey" on some aluminum Buick valve covers.

Cheers,

Edward

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-28-2008 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
roverman

The good news is, all 4 cams are Sync'd. individually. One bank of cylinders fires every 180 deg's as does opposite bank. You alternate between as as needed to please the crank. 180 deg. crank not needed. Worst case scenario, I make cams. I ruffem and grinder finishum. As I recall, some 25 yrs. ago, the cam phasing was correct. It is remotely possible, I'm mistaken or ?????   roveman.

Posted: 02-07-2009 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
roblanford

Why not use one of these engines they are all aluminium, 405 hp stock, designed by Lotus and can be had used for around $7500:

Posted: 02-07-2009 04:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
roverman

Thanks for the nice picture, very impressive! Only problem is, I'm not Mr. Goodwrench. I think this motor probably needs to visit an "authorized dealer" to live long and prosper. I think maybe I'm a little old fashioned. When I look under the hood/bonnet, I like to SEE the engine. I don't appologize that a British car with a British engine "might" be a good thing. Further, I believe, being able to fully service an engine that I built/designed without megabucks of diagnostic equipment is a good thing. I think perhaps I'll lumber onward with these out-dated ideals, come-what-may.  roverman.

Posted: 02-08-2009 03:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
JHRV8

O.K. mister roverman, I, for one, want to see one of these conversions.  Please do go on with this experiment of yours and build up a 4 cammer, please post photos and text!!! I can"t wait..........JHRV8

Posted: 02-08-2009 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I saw a Jensen GT at the Nashville show that had a Nissan V-6 crate motor installed, with auto trans, I believe it was driven from California, beautiful job down to the last detials. But when you do that kind of thing you limit your resale market should the time ever come. Personally I would rather tweek a Jensen with Jensen and Lotus bits, and have fun that way.

Brett

Posted: 02-08-2009 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
roblanford

Last edited on 02-09-2009 07:39 pm by roblanford

Posted: 02-08-2009 11:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
roblanford

Last edited on 02-09-2009 07:39 pm by roblanford

Posted: 02-09-2009 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Brett,

That was Jim Albeck's (sp?) car.

He built it so his wife could drive it, thus the automatic. It had no drivetrain when he acquired it. 

I don't think he cared about resale during his lifetime. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago and the car was sold.

Kurt

Posted: 02-09-2009 12:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
roverman

Perhaps we could consider the "benefits"? of diversity?  Some believe this is one of many items that brought the US. to it's level. Many of us are free-thinking individuals who sometimes share common likes,dislikes, etc. I'm truly glad to know there are those in the club who will restore and maintain their JH., numbers matching, all correct in such a manner that they'll sleep better knowing when it's their time to part ways, they'll get maximum bucks. Fortunately, a very limited few, has a sellfish idea to build the car the way they want...resale bedarned! We the unfaithfull probably have no right to ask questions, survey,ponder, pass judgement etc. Is'nt it refreshing? roverman.

Posted: 02-09-2009 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Jensenman

Holy cow, I better not mention all the Britmobile swaps I have done with various engines; German Ford in both a Spitfire and an MG, A series Datsun and a Mitsubishi 1600 in a Spitfire. I currently have a JH5 with the stock motor and a Toyota tranny, a quarterbreed I guess, a Spitfire with a Mazda rotary and another J-H which is undergoing a rotary implant. A buddy and I are contemplating a boosted Miata motor in a GT6 and another friend is considering a Rover V8 in a J-H and wants me to help engineer it.

I guess that makes me the Antichrist. :-/

Last edited on 02-09-2009 02:15 pm by Jensenman

Posted: 02-09-2009 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Seem's to be a touchy subject to some, without offence to anyone I prefer mine functional and close to stock, it makes me cringe when I see cars come up on E-bay that looks like a rat's nest of hodge podge parts flung together and then left to rot because they lost intrest.

I have also seem some very nice cars that have been converted, such as Jim Albecks, that car was truelly a beautiful conversion, and I would'nt have minded owning myself. also Donny Pritchard came to the Philly show with a very nice V-8 conversion. If your going to do one just do it right.

I also believe in getting the most enjoyment out of the cars, driving them, putting them thru there paces, Krip I'm still toying with the idea of meeting up with Ron Mau in Iowa and driving out to Cal. and visit Greg. I think the car is that dependable even with all the British parts.

Brett

Posted: 02-09-2009 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
roblanford

I really like the JH in appearance and its Lotus engine. I also enjoy seeing people dream up wild ass ways to change their car to suit their needs. My personal car is going to remain stock at least for now as that is what suits me today. Tomorrow may be a different story.

Last edited on 02-09-2009 07:47 pm by roblanford

Posted: 02-09-2009 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
edward_davis

I think diversity is wonderful, and I'd love to hear more about engine transplant projects.  One thing, though: I bought my JH as a host for the 907 engine, and not so much for the car itself.  I love the car, don't get me wrong, but what made it different from an MGB for me was the c-razy engine.  I have a feeling I'm not the only one who feels this way, which is probably why there are far fewer engine-swap JH's out there than MGB's.

So: I'm not opposed to hearing about engine swaps, and contributing ideas in the club forum.  But, I'm not going to swap any engines, because I already have the one I want.  In fact... I've thought about an MGB 907 or 912 swap...

Cheers!
Edward

Posted: 02-09-2009 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
subwoofer

Totally agree with you there, Edward. If it wasn't for the 907, I think I would have passed on the JH, the styling is not that great.

A rebuilt 907 with the federal compression and an Eaton supercharger, now that could give some serious ooompph to some LBC.

--
Joachim

Posted: 02-09-2009 11:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
smcmanus

I totally agree with Subwoofer and Edward.

The Jensen Healey would be merely a homlier version of the Spitfire, if it weren't for the really cool engine.

Have a nice day

Steve

Posted: 02-10-2009 12:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Jensenman

I personally like the J-H's styling a lot. I am also a big fan of the 9xx motors too. That's why 19015 still has the stock Lotus powerplant.

I dislike butcher swaps as well, there are far too many of them and I also think anyone who puts an automatic tranny in a British sports car does not deserve to own one.

I also would not dream of chopping up a pristine car to build things like the Abomination (my rotary Spitfire). But given a car that would not be worth restoring and would wind up as sardine cans and disposable razors otherwise, I see no problem with repowering it in order to at least partially save it.

Posted: 02-10-2009 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Steve Johnson

Jensenman;

Please contact me off list, question about toyota w58 conversion.

bjzpapa@roadrunner.com (home) or

sjohnson@teamsimpson.com )work

thanks.

steve

Posted: 02-11-2009 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
JHRV8

I think that the reality of this discourse is that everybody has his own opinion, and thank the lord for that right!! I LOVE the styling of the JH and think other BRITISH SMALL SP. CARS ARE JUST HOMELY.  However, the mechanics of the car leave something to be improved. That is why I changed to Rover power and Volvo running gear. The car fully restored is worth only 10K, so why not change to one's own liking. We all love this marque so lets not fight over the execution, but revel in the wonder of it all......JHRV8.

Last edited on 02-11-2009 10:45 pm by JHRV8

Current time is 06:37 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 32 valve J.H. V8 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems