View single post by mcguan.2
 Posted: 04-21-2010 09:38 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
mcguan.2

Recently my tachometer stopped working in my '73 mkI.  Reading a bunch of stuff on the forum, I decided that I might want to pull the intrument panel and check for loose connections in the back.  From what I've read, and from removing my panel on a parts mkII that I have, I know about the corroded center post, but the mkI doesn't seem to have the two screws on either end of the panel that (theoretically) hold it in place. 

Is there a trick to getting the panel off, or do I just have to pry around it with a butter knife?  Is there a better way?  Maybe I'm missing something else that I should check first?  Is there anything else on that fuse for the tach that might also not be working that I'm overlooking? 

I have so many intermittantly working things on the car that it's hard to keep them all straight, but the tach stopped working about a month ago and hasn't shown signs of flickering back to life like a lot of other stuff.  BTW, all other instruments in the panel (temp, voltage, fuel, speedo) work.