View single post by Dan (Florida)
 Posted: 02-17-2009 12:45 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Dan (Florida)

I started having that Clickey-clickey no start situation the other day and decided to pull the starter solenoid off for a little inspection/cleanup. I could not get much accomplished since the solenoid terminals would have to be unsoldered to get at the contacts (I guess) so I cleaned it all up and put it back together. As a last side project I took the positive cable off to inspect and clean that little  black terminal block right in the middle of the positive cable. It pried apart pretty easy with a small screwdriver ( no screw and nut holding it together). What I found was one of the most ill-engineered pieces on the car second only to the plastic fuel tee!!  This thing is a larger version of those cheap blue squeeze together trailer light connectors  and all of the electric power to the car save the starter motor itself is fed by it. Mine slid up and down the wire with ease. It is crimped on to a short section of stripped off battery cable and has four spade connector taps attached to it.  I can't believe I drove this thing on the highway!!  I cleaned it up and dropped some solder on to it until I can re-engineer it.  The car now starts almost immediately  and seems to have  more power  because of the better connection.  I can't stress enough that if you have not looked at this little  piece of engineering, you should. It may pay off in performance and reliability

Dan