Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Battery cable  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-17-2009 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan (Florida)

I started having that Clickey-clickey no start situation the other day and decided to pull the starter solenoid off for a little inspection/cleanup. I could not get much accomplished since the solenoid terminals would have to be unsoldered to get at the contacts (I guess) so I cleaned it all up and put it back together. As a last side project I took the positive cable off to inspect and clean that little  black terminal block right in the middle of the positive cable. It pried apart pretty easy with a small screwdriver ( no screw and nut holding it together). What I found was one of the most ill-engineered pieces on the car second only to the plastic fuel tee!!  This thing is a larger version of those cheap blue squeeze together trailer light connectors  and all of the electric power to the car save the starter motor itself is fed by it. Mine slid up and down the wire with ease. It is crimped on to a short section of stripped off battery cable and has four spade connector taps attached to it.  I can't believe I drove this thing on the highway!!  I cleaned it up and dropped some solder on to it until I can re-engineer it.  The car now starts almost immediately  and seems to have  more power  because of the better connection.  I can't stress enough that if you have not looked at this little  piece of engineering, you should. It may pay off in performance and reliability

Dan

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-17-2009 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Thanks for the tip Dan, my JH5 did not have that inline clip but my project car does, and I was wondering just what it was all about. I'd be intrested on how you handle it so I can update mine when I get to that area.

Brett

Posted: 02-17-2009 07:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dwalls1

Thanks for reminding me about the "black box". The one on my 81 TR7 is exactly the same and gave trouble until I cleaned the contact areas and silicone greased the whole thing then put a bolt through it as is provided for. I will do the same on my J-H, hopefully before it gives trouble. My clickey-clickey thing, did turn out to be the solenoid which I replaced with one off a spare TR7 starter that I had. Not to divert this thread, but does anyone know if the TR7 starter will interchange with the J-H? I'm asking because my TR7 has a Mitsuba starter which has performed flawlessly for 8 plus years and well over 40,000 miles.

Posted: 02-18-2009 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
colinw59

On 15851 I had to replace this, now obsolete, connector. As the original was damaged and far from the show condition that I needed. And as you say, of dubious design. So I used a high quality terminal block, fixed to the inner right fender. All power was then routed through this. The good thing is that should I need power for someting else down the road, I can tap into this terminal block as there are free connections. I'd love to post a close-up pic, but I can't as the car is out getting some seat repair.

The terminal block is visible in this pic though.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/74-Jensen-Healey-15851/2006_0404_3

Good luck, Colin

Current time is 09:10 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Battery cable Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems