View single post by Jim Sohl
 Posted: 04-24-2005 10:40 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Jim Sohl

Ron,

What is supposed to happen is that the interference fit between the ball joint shaft and the knuckle is tight enough to prevent the shaft from turning.  Since yours is turning, I would suspect that the interference fit is being prevented from seating fully.  This could be foreign debris, dirt, oil or grease, corrosion, or scoring.  In any event, disassemble the shaft from the knuckle and CLEAN all surfaces very thoroughly.  The surfaces should be smooth and dry.  Upon re-assembly,  rap the bottom of the ball joint with a rubber hammer several times.  If the shaft and knuckle fit properly, the shaft will be seated firmly enough to prevent rotation.  An interference fit is a type of press fit where the two parts are not bored at the same angle.  Usually, the receiving part, the knuckle, has one degree or so additional opening than the fitting part, the shaft.  Once seated, interference fit parts may require special tools or a press to drive them back apart.  I hope this helps.  If not, I’m not familiar with using loctite or similar airless adhesives.  I would consult someone with more experience than I for further advice.