Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Ball joint nuts - how to get them on?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Ball joint nuts - how to get them on?  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-24-2005 10:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ron Earp

I've got a problem with tightening my nuts on my ball joint shafts. I've got new ball joints on my front suspension arms and I'm using the original split locking type nuts.

Problem is, the shaft of the ball joint spins when you try to tighten it.  There is not enough room there to use pliers to hold the shaft.

So what to do?

I thought to use two non-locking nuts and double nut it, or, one non-locking nut and drill the shaft to accept a cotter pin.

Any ideas? Anyone know the thread size/pitch so I can get replacement nuts?

Ron

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-24-2005 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Sohl

Ron,

What is supposed to happen is that the interference fit between the ball joint shaft and the knuckle is tight enough to prevent the shaft from turning.  Since yours is turning, I would suspect that the interference fit is being prevented from seating fully.  This could be foreign debris, dirt, oil or grease, corrosion, or scoring.  In any event, disassemble the shaft from the knuckle and CLEAN all surfaces very thoroughly.  The surfaces should be smooth and dry.  Upon re-assembly,  rap the bottom of the ball joint with a rubber hammer several times.  If the shaft and knuckle fit properly, the shaft will be seated firmly enough to prevent rotation.  An interference fit is a type of press fit where the two parts are not bored at the same angle.  Usually, the receiving part, the knuckle, has one degree or so additional opening than the fitting part, the shaft.  Once seated, interference fit parts may require special tools or a press to drive them back apart.  I hope this helps.  If not, I’m not familiar with using loctite or similar airless adhesives.  I would consult someone with more experience than I for further advice.

Posted: 04-24-2005 11:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ron Earp

I'll try that Jim.  I thought to push or put pressure on the assembly while tightening them, but ran out of time Thursday night.  There is a lot of grease on the things too, and I am sure that isn't helping this particular situation.  I'll give it a try,

Ron

Posted: 04-25-2005 12:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mitch Ware

Once you get the nut on the bottom of the ball joint and it starts spinning, put a pry bar or long screw driver between the top of the ball joint and the control arm. Lift up and put it under pressure(it doesn't take much). This will keep it from spinning while tightening.

Mitch

1974 JH-5 #111119670
1971 TR-6 #CC66950LO

Current time is 08:25 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Ball joint nuts - how to get them on? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems