View single post by Mark Rosenbaum
 Posted: 04-18-2005 08:26 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Mark Rosenbaum

For the past couple of weeks I've been plagued by a condition where the engine would occasionally fail to return to its normal idle speed and would instead run at anywhere between 1200 and 2500 rpm.  Initially this was merely an annoyance but the last time I used the car the problem worsened and was bordering on being a safety hazard.  I decided to fix whatever was wrong.

An investigation quickly revealed that the throttles on both carbs would occasionally stick slightly instead of returning to the closed-idle position.  After removing and examining the front carb, it was apparent that the throttle disk had somehow shifted slightly.  I found that the hangup was eliminated when I loosened the two securing screws and let the throttle snap shut a few times.  Once satisfied, I tightened the screws and added a bit of Loctite to keep them securely in place.  The rear carb had the same problem and was amenable to the same solution.

Amazingly, once I put everything back together, the carbs were still in adjustment.

I am getting really proficient at removing and replacing Strombergs.