Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Interesting Stromberg Problem, and Fix

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Interesting Stromberg Problem, and Fix  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-18-2005 08:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mark Rosenbaum

For the past couple of weeks I've been plagued by a condition where the engine would occasionally fail to return to its normal idle speed and would instead run at anywhere between 1200 and 2500 rpm.  Initially this was merely an annoyance but the last time I used the car the problem worsened and was bordering on being a safety hazard.  I decided to fix whatever was wrong.

An investigation quickly revealed that the throttles on both carbs would occasionally stick slightly instead of returning to the closed-idle position.  After removing and examining the front carb, it was apparent that the throttle disk had somehow shifted slightly.  I found that the hangup was eliminated when I loosened the two securing screws and let the throttle snap shut a few times.  Once satisfied, I tightened the screws and added a bit of Loctite to keep them securely in place.  The rear carb had the same problem and was amenable to the same solution.

Amazingly, once I put everything back together, the carbs were still in adjustment.

I am getting really proficient at removing and replacing Strombergs.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-18-2005 09:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jim Sohl

'Been there, done that.  Occasionally, improbable as it seems with anything J-H, the easy fix actually works!

Posted: 04-19-2005 11:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Hey Thanks Mark great tip, I have been suffering the same problems and tried every thing, smoothing off the linkage, extra return spring, etc. etc.  now I know were to look.

Right now I'm fitting the car out with Dellorto's to see what they will do for a little more umph, but I will be keeping all my stromberg stuff and making the that adjustment to them, never know when I may need to refit them.

Brett. 

Posted: 04-19-2005 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Rory Clark

Mark,

You come through AGAIN.

Just finished rebuilding the Carbs and Bang after it warms up it will not return to normal Idle RPM.  It's driving me CRAZY. Thought I screwed up something.

I will try you solution & report back.

Rory 73-JH

Current time is 08:46 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Interesting Stromberg Problem, and Fix Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems