View single post by Esprit2
 Posted: 02-15-2006 02:53 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Esprit2

Rex Craft wrote: 1)  (Snip)... The seal looked fine but I’m not for sure about the oil thrower.  One of the tabs on the oil thrower oriented near the topside was bent down against the block.  Is this correct?    (Snip)...  Are the oil seals sold at Delta Mtr. Sports the same as the Club Store?  I read somewhere about a problem fitting the seal into the cover which distorted the seal causing a leak.

2)       I have a serious oil leak around the distributor.  I replaced the o-ring on the distributor shaft, but that didn’t seem to help.

Rex,

You really can't tell much about the seal's condition by looking at it.   A good looking seal can leak like a sieve.   "New" seals that have sat idle for years are especially prone to leaking.   Any time you put a low mileage but old engine back into service,  it's wise to replace everything that is rubber...  belts, seals and O-rings.

The bent tab is correct,  assuming it's located correctly.

O-ring on the shaft?   Do you mean the O-ring on the neck of the housing...  where it slips into the auxiliary housing?   That O-ring does tend to dry out and leak.   Besides letting oil out,  it can let air in.   The latter can contribute to the slow build-up of oil pressure upon start up.

Tim