Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oil Leaks  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-12-2006 03:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rex Craft

Typical winter weather here in Kentucky, snow, wet and cold, so it’s time to get some problems addressed.  Any help on the following questions would be appreciated.

History: My current driver is a restored 74 JH, VIN #14187.  I also have parts car #13916 and #17236.  The part cars and other stuff came from a guy I bought out in Winchester KY in 1992 when I started the restoration work on #14187.  He also had a rebuilt engine from a car he had restored but unfortunately had wrecked.  I am currently running this engine that was rebuilt around 1990.  Don't know the VIN associated with this engine but the engine number is B74-01-5-408.

This engine has two problems I want to correct.

1)       Leaks oil around main rear oil seal.  I pulled the flywheel last night and it is the one-piece oil seal that fits into a cover that bolts to the eng. block.  The seal looked fine but I’m not for sure about the oil thrower.  One of the tabs on the oil thrower oriented near the topside was bent down against the block.  Is this correct? (shop manual seams to show it this way)  Are the oil seals sold at Delta Mtr. Sports the same as the Club Store?  I read somewhere about a problem fitting the seal into the cover which distorted the seal causing a leak.

2)       I have a serious oil leak around the distributor.  I replaced the o-ring on the distributor shaft, but that didn’t seem to help.  I wondered if this oil might be leaking from the inside around the drive shaft?  I saw one message on the board about Mobil 1 and other synthetics more prone to leaks.  I was running Mobil 1 during the summer.  Is that part of my problem?  If it is, shouldn’t I be able to overcome the leaks so I can continue to run the Mobil 1?

I also want to replace my header, is the header from Delta Mtr. Sports the same as the club store?  What is the recommendation on ceramic coating, pros and cons, is it worth it?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-12-2006 11:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I have a serious oil leak around the distributor.  I replaced the o-ring on the distributor shaft, but that didn’t seem to help.  I wondered if this oil might be leaking from the inside around the drive shaft?  I saw one message on the board about Mobil 1 and other synthetics more prone to leaks.  I was running Mobil 1 during the summer.  Is that part of my problem?  If it is, shouldn’t I be able to overcome the leaks so I can continue to run the Mobil 1?

British cars tend to leak a bit when using petroleum oils, and worse when using synthetics, so you may have to accept some small level of leakage.  That said, it does sound like you need to replace the distributor's internal seal.  See the post on 'O-rings' at the very bottom of the Miscellaneous folder for suitable off-the-shelf part numbers.

Last edited on 02-12-2006 11:51 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

Posted: 02-13-2006 06:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

It's the same header. The coating depends on your budget of course, as it will almost double the cost, but I would say a ceramic coating such as Jet-Hot® is money well spent in this case. The header and the way it's configured on left-hand drive cars is a terrible annoyance in hot climates like California. The heat that's produced can be considerable and that heat effects things like the brake master cylinder and shortens it's service life. Jet-Hot advertises that you will be able to touch the surface just a few minutes after you switch off the engine.

Posted: 02-15-2006 02:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Esprit2

Rex Craft wrote: 1)  (Snip)... The seal looked fine but I’m not for sure about the oil thrower.  One of the tabs on the oil thrower oriented near the topside was bent down against the block.  Is this correct?    (Snip)...  Are the oil seals sold at Delta Mtr. Sports the same as the Club Store?  I read somewhere about a problem fitting the seal into the cover which distorted the seal causing a leak.

2)       I have a serious oil leak around the distributor.  I replaced the o-ring on the distributor shaft, but that didn’t seem to help.

Rex,

You really can't tell much about the seal's condition by looking at it.   A good looking seal can leak like a sieve.   "New" seals that have sat idle for years are especially prone to leaking.   Any time you put a low mileage but old engine back into service,  it's wise to replace everything that is rubber...  belts, seals and O-rings.

The bent tab is correct,  assuming it's located correctly.

O-ring on the shaft?   Do you mean the O-ring on the neck of the housing...  where it slips into the auxiliary housing?   That O-ring does tend to dry out and leak.   Besides letting oil out,  it can let air in.   The latter can contribute to the slow build-up of oil pressure upon start up.

Tim

Current time is 11:04 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil Leaks Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems