View single post by discogodfather
 Posted: 06-21-2020 11:39 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
discogodfather

Now that vacuum is being mentioned, I have a weird situation: I installed an aftermarket analog mechanical vacuum gauge on the dash. I got a vacuum signal from between the 3/8" rubber tube going to the vacuum booster. It uses a very small 1/16" nylon tube that runs directly to the gauge.

When I first turned the engine on, it fluttered so wildly- from 0-24 in hg. Like a full sweep. I thought I had an intake leak or something, but the engine was running so well. Did some reading online and they talked about flutter, and that what you needed to do was put in some kind of restriction to get a clean signal for the gauge.

So I first tried to pinch off the nylon tube, and it did get the needle to settle. I installed a little valve meant for a small air compressor and was able to have any level of restriction by turning the knob, and the gauge reads solidly now without any flutter.

Problem is, it's reading around 7 inches now? Wondering what this means- maybe the restriction is too tight, or maybe I am getting too close to the vacuum valve on the brake booster? It's about 8" away from it right now.

Where is a good place to get a vacuum signal? If I use my EMPI style sync tool (the one shaped like a ball), it always reads around 7-10 kg/h, but clearly the gauge I have is calibrated in inches of mercury. I have read on other forums a 907 should read at around the normal 17-21 inches at idle.

Maybe the 104 cams have something to do with it? Lower vacuum at idle because of more overlap? Still, 7 in hg sounds awfully low.