View single post by Screenplay
 Posted: 12-01-2014 12:57 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
Screenplay

Hi Eric, I don't have any pics so I'll try to describe it. Also, I'm assuming the new bushing has a metal sleeve around it as the old one did - I used Superpro which has the sleeve but I don't know if they all do. My homemade press involves a piece of threaded metal rod, a large socket, washers and nuts (to thread over the rod). Place the new bushing in front of the hole in the diff, insert the rod through the new bushing, place a washer against the bushing and thread a nut against it. On the diff side place the socket over the rod (larger than the diameter of the bushing) a washer and thread the other nut against it. As you tighten the nuts, one side pushes against the diff housing while on the other side the bushing is pushed through the hole. To make it all easier (assuming again there is a metal sleeve on the new bushing) put the new part in the freezer for 2-3 hours before installing. The cold will shrink the metal and it should go right in.

I changed mine with the rear end out of the car and was able to tap in the freezing cold bushings with a rawhide mallet. There may not be room to do that under the car, but if you do, just be certain to support the differential side with a large socket as you pound.

Best of luck with the project.

Clinton