Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
patrick lovering

Hi all, just notice there is a Sunbeam Rapier gearbox with a laycock overdrive on ebay uk at the momment, I realise this might be not much use to you in the States, but just thought I'd mention that I have made this conversion to my Mk2 and it works well, the extra gears really relax the engine on motorways and effect quite a saving in fuel.
The gearknob mounted overdrive switch from a Triumph Stag works a treat and looks pretty cool too.
Patrick

Frank Schwartz

Too bad such things never appear here in the US....

patrick lovering

they're pretty rare over here too, I think the Laycock overdrive units were also fitted to Jaguar, Austin Healy, Alpine, Hillman, Triumph, MG.

Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Ages ago, Richard Appleyard in the UK did an article for our club newsletter on how to do this conversion. I'll have to dig that out. Sounds worthwhile, but I remember it being expensive back then and some of the parts where already hard to get. It did require a fair amount of fiddly work and fabrication.

patrick lovering

The overdrive is just a bolt on affair and electrically activated via the stag gearknob switch, the cables running up a supplementary metal pipe I braised onto the gear stick. you are also supposed to drill and tap a cut out switch that stops you selecting reverse whilst in overdrive. I did'nt do this out of laziness and as a result made the gearbox make some horrible noises a few times! 

Spaceman

So do you still have that article, I just bought a Sunbeam Rapier OD, and wonder what parts I need to get with it? Do I need the long shaft sticking out of the Rapier 4 speed?

noomg

Unless your J/H is a 4sp I'm not sure why you'd want to try to adapt what sounds like a very rare gearbox which is going to require a lot of engineering and fabrication to make it work. The Getrag 5sp is a very nice gearbox and works really well in the J/H. If you do have a 4sp I think it would be much easier to find a Getrag and do a swap, I think you'd be pleased with the results.

subwoofer

The Getrag has a taller rear end, so effectively it already has an overdrive compared to the 4-speed. Top is 1:1 for both boxes.

--
Joachim

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems