Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Intro: handed down and would like to get it running again.

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Intro: handed down and would like to get it running again.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-31-2007 05:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
demonicus

Well here she is everyone... 1973

whatcha think she's worth?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-01-2008 01:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
edward_davis

This car looks like it has lots of potential, but I would be loath to put a price on her without seeing under the carpet and inside the trunk.  Those are two areas where the rust can get get pretty bad.  If there's no rust in those places, I don't think I would pay much more than $1500 for her in current condition.  Maybe closer to $2500 if she were running.  The creases in the front bumper worry me a bit.  Of course, I'm not in the market for another fixer-upper right now, so my valuations might be a bit off.

That silver paint looks like a fantastic color, though.  This car is complete enough that I think she's worth restoring, barring some disastrous amount of hidden rust in the frame rails.

Edward Davis

Posted: 01-01-2008 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
demonicus

The only rust I've been able to find has been surface rust around some of the crome trim. Apillar and such. This car may be restored to it's original condition or we might just rip her down and throw my 5.0L into her and make something close to a SC cobra like shelby did with the austin healey years ago. I've even had the change to look inside the combustion chamber and it's super clean in there.

IF you can see the odometer in the pic that is actually the original miles on it. It never clocked over and the original owner had it garaged kept for years.

I love the look of these cars but I'm a ford guy. To me the Ford motor brings reliability and power this car has never known. But as I'm typing this I'm watching the barrett jackson auction and wonder if this car could ever reach greatness and serious collectors value.

Posted: 01-02-2008 12:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

The engine, VIN and console suggest a VERY late 1974, but the seat belt buckles, choke knob and headlight surrounds do appear vintage 1973.

The factory hardtop is rare, and the chrome bumpers suggest you don't have the expensive to rebuild Getrag 5-speed.  Otherwise it appears as if the car is solid and needs little more than a thorough freshening.  Unless the entire drivetrain and suspension are trashed I'd think you could put in about $5k-10k and have a really nice ride.

The only 'reliability' problem with the 907 is the timing belt and of course typical problems with 1970s carburetion and ignition systems.  Power wise, I trounced a BMW 328is yesterday while test driving a client's otherwise stock engine rebuild.

Custom engine swaps rarely equate to 'reliability' or cost effective.  There are also problems with putting V8 power in the JH.  Please check elsewhere on the board where we've discussed engine swaps.

Posted: 01-02-2008 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mitch Ware

Someone has taken parts off of a later car and attached them to an earlier car. The center console perhaps off of a GT (electric window lift switches). The LATE 74's had the clock in the glove box door, not next to the steering wheel. also, this car looks like it has the vinyl "woodgrain" rather than actual wood of the later cars. And of course it doesn't have the big black bumpers that came out in 74.  The VIN of 17821 is about 2000 lower than the car I have which is 19670, and has a commision date of 12/30/74.

If it were my car, rather than do an expensive engine swap, I'd spend the money on building a 2.2L 907, keep that nice light weight while putting out plenty of power without fubaring the handling.

Mitch Ware

http://home.nycap.rr.com/mware/

Posted: 01-02-2008 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
edward_davis

On the subject of engine swaps:  It seems to me that the JH is the only LBC out there that can end up worth less after a V8 swap than before.  The fact is, the reason many folks (like me) get into this car is because it's the easiest way to get at one of these Lotus engines.  That isn't to say that folks with V8 JH's don't have fun, but if you want to swap a V8 into a LBC you might be better off with something like an MGB, where folks aren't as attached to the original engine.

I agree with Judson about the $5-10k.  Also, that factory hardtop is a rare and worthwhile option: it's probably what saved you from floor rust.  I know that my factory hardtop makes the car almost civilized on the freeway.

We'll all be interested to see what you do with this car, whatever you decide.

Edward

Posted: 01-03-2008 01:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
demonicus

Well the 5.0 is sitting in an unfinished 88coupe mustang converted from the lame 2.3L. I'll be turning that car into my drag car as it is auto. I'm also going to be joining the UBCSCC club for getting into autocross. As far as I know this car was running not long ago.

I'll see if I can get her running in the next couple of months. I'm hoping there's no holes in the gas tank. Anyone know if the fuel pump is mechanical?

Posted: 01-03-2008 12:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Mitch Ware

Stock fuel pump is electric, mounted to the left of the gas tank in the trunk.

Mitch

Posted: 01-03-2008 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Judson Manning

UBCSCC autocross club?

Worthwhile to mention the JH won the SCCA Solo 2 (autocross) National Championship in 1979.  Keep it ~stock~ as to not throw yourself to the wolves in CSP with tricked out Miatas.  Most 'stock' JH parts are NLA so technically you wouldn't be cheating if you updated a few goodies...I smell a sleeper!

Posted: 01-04-2008 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
demonicus

University of British Columbia Sport Car Club

aka ubcscc.com I believe we do solo 1 or one person going through the cones. But I think you can upgrade yourself in points to get your solo2 license and then race with others. I might have that backwards I'm not sure and still very new to the race scene.

I would keep the car as stock as possible with a few minor handling upgrades as to be able to run in the stock classes.

As for my 89GTcoupe mustang I have a full performance upgrades happening with that. most of that car was upgraded to a 1999 braking package and is going to be heavily modified with turbo this year. So I'll go after the big fish with that car.

Posted: 01-04-2008 04:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
mark lees

i think it is worth quite a lot and i take it you are in vancouver? i  am north of you i williams lake and i tend to agree with the rest of the boys about a v8 swap sorta defeats the cars purpose and there is still quite a few tr6 mg 240 260 or 280 z,s for a swap  but very few jensens also a very low hood line thanks to the slant 4 i am also a major ford guy owning a 69 and 2 68 mustangs and a 60 ford frontenac 2 door [canadian made falcon].     just one bass  players opinion

Posted: 01-05-2008 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
demonicus

well if you own a bunch of mustangs I'd direct you to vancouvermustangs.com for anything you may need.

The decision has been made to keep the JH an original. or at least as original as we can make if as I'm being told the car has parts swapped from other years in previous posts.

So if anyone knows where I can get some pics of the way the vacuum lines go then I'll throw a battery in her and give her some gas and we'll see if this thing can be brought to life once again.

Posted: 01-11-2008 03:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
mark lees

i am interested to know about your progress in firing the beast up gimme an update and maybe a vid clip as i know you probably have rain and we unfortunately have snow [but low traffic] looks like a kick ass hand me down congrats .   mark

Posted: 01-11-2008 04:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
mark lees

oh by the way before fire up get rid of that dreaded fuel line tee i made the mistake of not going on the net and reading what these guys said and mine started pissing fuel all over the place and my heart was in my throat . so if this car has been sitting for any amount of time or even if it  wasnt it is a factory flaw also the gas tank comes out fairly quickly but rust and scale might be in there or rust underneath anyhow good luck with your baby or [sell it to me] ha ha just kidding. in my dreams right. layter

Posted: 06-01-2009 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
demonicus

the car runs now guys

hoping to get a video and some better pics soon.
Also hunting down the registration papers for a future owner.

Current time is 10:36 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Intro: handed down and would like to get it running again. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems