Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
STARTER HELP!  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-21-2007 10:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
flatlanderep

I'm putting a rebuilt starter back in and am so confused about the wiring.

I've tried every possible combo it seems like and none of them actually start the car.
It will either start clicking, smoking or complete silence.

The JH wiring diagram shows a lot less wires than what I'm actually dealing with here.

Can anyone help?

Attachment: jensen healey starter.jpg (Downloaded 88 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-23-2007 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Kimbrough

Flatlanderep,

Perhaps this diagram will help.  N=brown.  John.

Attachment: Starter Circuit.jpg (Downloaded 100 times)

Posted: 11-24-2007 12:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Judson Manning

John,

Very nicely done wiring diagram!  One wire I'm not seeing is the bypass to the ignition coil.

From memory there is a large terminal with a 5/16" stud and nut on the solenoid which attaches directly to the battery.  Next to that 5/16" stud there are two 1/4" spade connectors.  The 1/4" spade connector next to the 5/16" stud is where the "start" lead from the key attaches (usually white/red). 

A lot of times I leave this 1/4" lead unattached when I'm troubleshooting an engine.  A 1/2" wrench proves to be a good "jumper" to short the 1/4" spade to the 5/16" stud - this is a direct way to engage the starter.

The other 1/4" spade connector (furthest from the 5/16" stud) connects to the (+) end of the coil (maybe brown/yellow?).  When the starter is engaged a full 12V is provided to the coil directly from the 5/16" stud (battery).  This is not a critical connection and can be left unattached while troubleshooting. 

Judson

Posted: 11-24-2007 01:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
John Kimbrough

You are right, of course, Judson.  I have made a diagram for each electrical circuit separately for troubleshooting purposes.  Some of the circuits share the same components, junctions, etc.  Attached is the diagram for the spark circuit.  It has the bypass on it.  If you want a complete set of the diagrams give me an e-mail and I will send them to you as .doc files.  I also think Greg put them on the JHPS website.`

Thanks for all your great posts.  You have truly been a mainstay of the message board. 

John

Attachment: Ignition Circuit.jpg (Downloaded 66 times)

Posted: 11-27-2007 01:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
flatlanderep

OK,  I have been out of town for TK and after work today, I tried to get my JH going. Right next to the battery, there is a wiring harness. For the solenoid, there are 3 heavy black wires and one brown wire. One of the black wires goes to the negative battery terminal and I connected this one and the brown one to the solenoid post on the passenger side. This left me with 2 heavy black wires and I connected these 2 to the other solenoid post. I wire brushed all connections, washers, battery terminals and the grounds to passenger side body. I connected the red white wire to the the blade connector located on the passenger side of the solenoid and the white-yellow to the other blade connector.

When I tried to connect the positive battery cable to the battery post, I got a spark and the starter turned. So this is still not correct and I need help. Anyone out there with a similar set-up?

Flatlander

Posted: 11-27-2007 02:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
John Kimbrough

Looks like you have too many wires connected to the solenoid.  Attached is a picture of mine.

Red - B+ into the solenoid from the battery

Black - B+ from the solenoid to the battery junction.  Brown wires go to the fuse box to power other things.

W/R - This is the wire that supplies a ground from the ignition start switch to activate the solenoid.

W/Y - This is the wire that provides 12 volts directly to the coil when the solenoid is activated during start.  When the solenoid disengages, this circuit is broken and the reduced voltage from the resistor continues to feed the coil.

The wire with the in-line fuse is one I added when I put solenoids in my headlamp circuit to eliminate the high headlight current through the ignition switch. 

Attachment: P1010006a.jpg (Downloaded 197 times)

Posted: 11-29-2007 02:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
flatlanderep

Your connections are different from mine. In looking at them this evening, I have one black wire from the negative battery terminal, 2 thick black wires from the battery junction and a thin brown wire from the battery junction. I tried the neg. battery terminal wire and the brown wire to the solenoid post nearest to the battery and the other 2 black wires to the other solenoid post but no power from the battery when I even put on the lights. Would a picture of my set-up help to solve this connection problem. I removed all 4 of these wires from the solenoid to remove the starter.

Posted: 11-29-2007 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
John Kimbrough

First I would like to correct an error in my last post.  The white/red wire provides 12 volts to the solenoid activator through the ignition switch (not ground).  Sorry.

I would be glad to take a look at your pictures to see  if we can figure something out, but I have a hunch it will be just a basic understanding of the circuits that fixes the problem. 

John. 

Posted: 12-09-2007 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
John Kimbrough

Any luck getting your wires sorted out yet???

John

Posted: 12-17-2007 07:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
flatlanderep

Yeah John we did. I appreciate the responses and help as it was just boggling my mind. But it was a combination of a few different things in the end....no juice in the battery, no oil in the dampers, fouled spark plugs. But the car runs fine again after this tune up that seems to happen all too often.

Current time is 08:34 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > STARTER HELP! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems